Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: I'm Back...

  1. #16
    3D Junkie Serling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Those bird 3D models look great, must be high polycount .
    Meh...the modeling was easy. The feathers? LOL!
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

  2. #17
    Welcome back! The surfacing and lighting changes will be confusing at first, just don't assume everything is the same as it was and start with fresh eyes, and it should make sense. Modelling, you should get right back into it. Good luck!

  3. #18
    3D Junkie Serling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Welcome back! The surfacing and lighting changes will be confusing at first, just don't assume everything is the same as it was and start with fresh eyes, and it should make sense. Modelling, you should get right back into it. Good luck!
    The surfacing and texturing took me a bit to figure out. Nothing was put back where I left it!

    Got it figured out, though, and just finished this. It's up for review on Shutterstock now. Hopefully it will be a massive seller!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual view helmet_no_alpha_001.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	664.3 KB 
ID:	144434
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

  4. #19
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Serling View Post
    The surfacing and texturing took me a bit to figure out. Nothing was put back where I left it!

    Got it figured out, though, and just finished this. It's up for review on Shutterstock now. Hopefully it will be a massive seller!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual view helmet_no_alpha_001.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	664.3 KB 
ID:	144434
    Just a question, if not made that way by intent, shouldnīt the bumping on the helmet be inversed crumple? when hammering you get indents with
    a hammer with slight round head perhaps, getting the kind of bump you have requires hitting the helmet from the inside, which is almost impossible I think

    good luck, I love all kinds of helmet by the way...mostly.

  5. #20
    3D Junkie Serling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Just a question, if not made that way by intent, shouldnīt the bumping on the helmet be inversed crumple? when hammering you get indents with
    a hammer with slight round head perhaps, getting the kind of bump you have requires hitting the helmet from the inside, which is almost impossible I think

    good luck, I love all kinds of helmet by the way...mostly.
    That is inverted crumple - minus 25 on the depth. I wish they had a "hammered" texture, but it would probably look like Barney at Moe's! (That's a Simpson's reference, for anyone who might not get it!)

    I changed the look of it last night, adding more thickness to it and (actually) applying the right surface to the fibers. I rendered it out at 12,000 x 6,000 for sale on Shutterstock.

    This is the new one...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72MP Render no alpha_001 copy.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	144498
    Last edited by Serling; 03-17-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

  6. #21
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Serling View Post
    That is inverted crumple - minus 25 on the depth. I wish they had a "hammered" texture, but it would probably look like Barney at Moe's! (That's a Simpson's reference, for anyone who might not get it!)

    I changed the look of it last night, adding more thickness to it and (actually) applying the right surface to the fibers. I rendered it out at 12,000 x 6,000 for sale on Shutterstock.

    This is the new one...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72MP Render no alpha_001 copy.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	144498
    What I ment is that the "Look" of your helmet crumple should be inverted, itīs not, unless intentional..I donīt think it looks right in the sense it has been treated
    with hammering.

  7. #22
    3D Junkie Serling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    What I ment is that the "Look" of your helmet crumple should be inverted, itīs not, unless intentional..I donīt think it looks right in the sense it has been treated
    with hammering.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "inverted" then. I tried the crumple on both the plus and minus sides, and the minus looked better to me. I'll try playing with it more, but this one will be going up for sale soon, I hope.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-17_17-47-44.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	144499
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

  8. #23
    3D Junkie Serling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    778
    OK, I tried it on the "plus" side of Bump Amp again, and messed with some other settings, and also added an FBM texture. Is this more what you were thinking of?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greek Helm FBM Test_001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	803.7 KB 
ID:	144500
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

  9. #24
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Serling View Post
    OK, I tried it on the "plus" side of Bump Amp again, and messed with some other settings, and also added an FBM texture. Is this more what you were thinking of?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greek Helm FBM Test_001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	803.7 KB 
ID:	144500
    Exactly, that is the crumple setting I would suggest to be more accurate to a real hammered treating of a helmet.
    Suggestions would also be to tone down the yellow saturation so it feels more metal, not sure which Lightave version you have..if you got 20119, then some of the new PBR metal presets should be a good basis for metal helmets..

    Otherwise, use conductor node initially and then feed the procedural bumps in there, toning down the saturation of the color will help sell the metal look.

  10. #25
    3D Junkie Serling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Walled Lake, MI
    Posts
    778
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Exactly, that is the crumple setting I would suggest to be more accurate to a real hammered treating of a helmet.
    Suggestions would also be to tone down the yellow saturation so it feels more metal, not sure which Lightave version you have..if you got 20119, then some of the new PBR metal presets should be a good basis for metal helmets..

    Otherwise, use conductor node initially and then feed the procedural bumps in there, toning down the saturation of the color will help sell the metal look.
    Thank you. Will try that next time I open it up.
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •