Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Drawing tools... and...

Newbie Member

Better Drawing tools... and...

Coming from a 2D background (Illustrator, Photshop, etc.) I would like to see more refined drawing tools. I still find myself using Illustrator to create shapes to lathe since the controls are so much easier to use.

Also, draggable guides. Sometimes the guides/grid are just not wuite where you want or need them.

As think of more, I'll edit this post
    -- To Err Is Human...
    (.... to really screw things up, you
    need a computer!) --

Hi there,

I'm quite confident they will finally give us better spline tools in v8 - everyone has been asking for it quite for a while and they possibly cannot avoid implementing it. As for your guides - that may not be practical. This is kind of a CAD feature that makes not much sense in standard 3D prog (on a rendered image, can you tell minor derivations?) and especially in LW where everything is finally converted to polys. I'd rather see object/ point/ edge snapping so you might greate guide objects whnever you need them.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylčne, ange sur terre]

Is not the same thing. I came from a 2d background and itīs a diferent deal when it comes to 3d modeling. 3d have a much more close relationship with sculpture than with drawing.
    Even when you have the hardware to simulate real drawing (i have a wacom) itīs still very far from the real thing.
    So, you canīt ask for features that are not related to the job.

Newbie Member
    I also have a sculpting background. So I understand the differences in conceptualizing, however depending on WHAT you are modeling more precise and controllable drawing tools would be nice.

For instance there is a big difference between the steps involved in modeling an organic shape (animal, human, flowers, etc.) and an inorganic shape (speakers, a pager, telephone, etc.).

If for example you want to create the shape of a goblet to lathe, I find it much easier to do a shape in Illustrator than to use the current LW tools.

I'd also love to see some built in paint tools a la Deep Paint. Some way to create textures and bumps and other maps from within the program so that they directly relate to the object.
    Last edited by LeeK; 03-10-2003 at 11:58 AM.
    -- To Err Is Human...
    need a computer!) --

Itīs very easy to define shapes in lightwave modeler, really.
    Try playing more with subpatches, keeping all in quads, if you need a reference picture, you can put one as a background in lightwave modeler in the view that you like more.

Note:

You can import illustrator files in modeler.

Better cad type tools would be a major plus to a great program.

We are talking DRAFTING type tools!
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

Leek I totally agree with you, better drawing tools are needed.

ModelMonkey - is you use splines, arcs, lines etc. to draw profiles
    you'd realise the ones in LW suck compared to say Illustrator.

If you model by using 3D tools (create cube, smooth-shift, bevel etc.) it won't affect you as much.

But we need them, let's have 'em whether everyone uses them or not!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

You donīt undestand the point... most lightwave users are making 3d modelling not 2d modelling... if you want to do architectural stuff you use autocad, if you want to make 2d illustration you use illustrator. why are you comparing lightwave to illustrator? What a stupid comparison. i had to make logos for tv, in lightwave 4.0 and i didīt have any trouble creating the profiles from the logos and then extruding etc...now lw have a much more advanced toolset for doing it, i donīt get why you donīt work, play with tools... I guess you are looking for the miracle button that when pressed do the job for you...

Newbie Member
    Ah! so now we've come down to hurling insults.

You like the drawing tools in LW, fine. You've made your point. Now if you are mature enough, try and keep a civil tongue.

There are those of us who use programs like Illustrator or Freehand extensively. Do you? If so perhaps you would not be so quick to put our request down, or criticize. Has Newtek come up with updates and patches that have made your LW experience a bit easier? Tools that have made modeling simpler for you and not as much of a struggle? Or do you consider those "magic buttons" as well.

This forum is for constructive requests, if you are just SO advanced and are so comfortable with LW the way it is, then leave the forum, you obviously don't need it, or us.
    -- To Err Is Human...
    need a computer!) --

2D profiles and 3D modeling

I guess MonkeyModeller doesn't understand the principle of using 2D profiles as the basis of 3D geometry.

While Illustrator is superior to LW for drawign 2D profiles it is still nothing like using a real sketcher like the ones in ProE, SolidWorks and especially Solid Edge. If you ever get a chance to see a sketcher in action you would be amazed at how easy they are to use. Comparing A real sketcher to the 2D drawing tools in LW is like compared a nailgun to a rock. While you probably could build a house by hammering with a rock, most people would prefer a using a nailgun. The problem is that the few people who prefer rocks and spend all your time with rocks lack the sophistication necessary to understand what a nailgun is, let alone how it could improve their lives.

I vote for improved sketching and 2D tools in LW, BUT not neccesarily like Illustrator. Why trade your rock for a hammer when you can have a nailgun!!

I donīt understand why you keeping comparing illustrator with lightwave modeler, make that request to adobe, make the sugestion to make illustrator go 3d, if you like illustrator so much. Donīt ask for stupid features not related to lightwave modeler (Lightwave imports illustrator, take number 2). Check the lightwave gallery and watch what can be done with the "rock". An artist that is always criticizing is tools must really suck.

I guess JonhL doesnīt understand what is a general 3d application, and an industrial oriented one, and by the way lightwave cost much less than the ones that you posted and do much more. Lightwave needs more useful things, like an integrated 3d paint solution, that is a feature, donīt request things that can be done right now, just because you are lazy, and came from another app.

A real sketcher is a person that grabs a simple pencil and a simple paper, and do amazing things.
    Last edited by ModelMonkey; 03-11-2003 at 10:07 AM.

Rocks are cheap and plentiful... just not handy.

Let me elaborate.

There is a difference between being productive and just getting things done. Hence, my comparison between the rock and the nailgun. Keep your rock MonkeyModel, and permit me and the rest of us to have a nailgun. No one is forcing you to upgrade to an improved future version of LW.

For me, being productive means getting more things done in a shorter amount of time. It pays the bills.

If improved 2D sketching tools in Modeler help me and others like me to work faster and to produce more accurate 3D models, then I think we have a legitimate request.

Rocks is what houses are made of, a nailgun is for woodboards, maybe you live in a tent, think again about that analogy, and the tools are already there, you arenīt smart enough to push for your brain to use them, lazyness is sick.

And More... Great sculptures are made of rock, yes, rock, that thing that we find a lot, maybe the sculptors are all wrong, is so hard to work with rocks.. But i love David from Michaelangelo.
    Last edited by ModelMonkey; 03-11-2003 at 05:48 PM.

Post Putting the anal back into analogy

Thats not an analogy, thats just silly.

You're ranting, try to get some rest.

Silly is making analogies with rocks and nailguns, whoīs silly?
    This conversation is far from the main theme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast