Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What market should LW be concentrating from now on? Tell us your ideas.

If you like visual scripting(I do) and still like Unity more than Unreal. I can highly recommend Playmaker for visual scripting. It’s more of a state machine but due to its high level you can do things really fast.

So what market should Lw be looking at?

As a retired engineer, the engineering applications are not that great at modeling and rendering for 3d printing for industrial use. Maybe to scale 3d Modeling and rendering for 3d printing using mediums like metal for industry.
    At the house I used Rhino 3d to make a part for one of my vehicles because It was easier to make for printing with Rhino and Rhino could import and exports to a huge list of engineering applications.

As a user for over 20 years, I'm not leaving until the lights go out. Just a suggestion, but LW lost the kids (Now adults) when 3D max was flooding the user groups in the old newsgroups with their program and the kids grew up using it. Give LW to select film and graphic schools - like Goodyear gives tires to NASCAR. Everything grows from a seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene1 View Post
    As a retired engineer, the engineering applications are not that great at modeling and rendering for 3d printing for industrial use. Maybe to scale 3d Modeling and rendering for 3d printing using mediums like metal for industry.
    At the house I used Rhino 3d to make a part for one of my vehicles because It was easier to make for printing with Rhino and Rhino could import and exports to a huge list of engineering applications.

As a user for over 20 years, I'm not leaving until the lights go out. Just a suggestion, but LW lost the kids (Now adults) when 3D max was flooding the user groups in the old newsgroups with their program and the kids grew up using it. Give LW to select film and graphic schools - like Goodyear gives tires to NASCAR. Everything grows from a seed.
    I would second that.
    Hell another thing they could try is to offer Lightwave 2015 at a discount ON STEAM (for about $200.00). It would be a sure to get to the gamers, and offer and upgrade path to the latest release.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

i don’t think that will work with maya, max and blender free.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    i don’t think that will work with maya, max and blender free.
    I get the free Blender.... But Maya? Since when? And if so, is it a full version?
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

maya and max both have an educational version, fully unrestricted. you could try it out right now, if you wanted to educate yourself in its use. non commercial use. it could well be most of ad products. it’s a very nice educational policy that they have, not to mention a wise investment on their part. nt should do the same.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 03-14-2019 at 09:01 AM.

maya and max both have an educational version, fully unrestricted. you could try it out right now, if you wanted to educate yourself in its use. non commercial use. it could well be most of ad products. it’s a very nice educational policy that they have, not to mention a wise investment on their part. nt should do the same.
    Well there is that whole non commercial use thing. I know of companies that have gotten NAILED over that. Having said that, a free educational version for valid students is not a bad idea. But I still stand on my STEAM idea.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I would second that.
    Hell another thing they could try is to offer Lightwave 2015 at a discount ON STEAM (for about $200.00). It would be a sure to get to the gamers, and offer and upgrade path to the latest release.
    Pains me to say this, but that would be a fruitless effort. Not with Blender on Steam, which is already entrenched in exactly the same market, and very popular with indie game devs and modders. Not with thousands of overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam. Worse, no chance to compete with v2.8 around the corner when it hits Steam and all its GUI and viewport eye-candy. The kids already love 2.8 beta.

Modo Indie is available for a low montly rent on Steam, and Max and Maya, as was mentioned earlier, are available for "free", and kids couldn't care less about those "please don't use for commercial work" restrictions, and Autodesk is fully aware of this, and don't care, of course for obvious reasons. And Houdini Indie pretty much aims at the same markets: Lightwave, even at $200, would be competing with that powerhouse on Steam.

Lightwave would be swimming upsteam on a mountain slope with both legs tied to a anchor. (see what I did there ;-) )

Unless Lightwave Modeler gets an amazing update with fully non-destructive modernized modeling tools and is integrated into Layout, I think the time and energy spent on putting LW on Steam would be best focused elsewhere first. Get it up to speed with modern applications in regards to GUI, modeling, and viewport quality before trying to compete on Steam.

Not trying to be pessimistic here, but rather realistic.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

it's simple,

all they need to do is to make LightWave great again.

how, doesn't really matter.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Mlwga ?

I think they should just strength themselves in the market that they are currently good at. Why split their focus on adding new tools with markets that might not turn out so great. Split app is still a problem if someone wants to tweak a model to a position in layout. They can't do it without round tripping every tweak... Ugghhh. The only down side to unification is the time it takes to implement.

Anyway, don't go for new market, make Lightwave great at Architecture and VFX for Generalist.
    Last edited by thomascheng; 03-15-2019 at 12:49 PM.

which market is a split app good in?

which market is a split app good in?
    Furniture design.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Furniture design.
    I don't see why a split app helps with that or has any advantage over a unified environment.

Certainly a task that can be done in LW without limitations I agree.

However not having a unified environment or procedural workflow can make certain (repeating) tasks or design tedious.

You might want to create your furniture using procedural deformers (bend, shear, twist etc.) - which are not visible or usable in Modeler, procedural modeling falloffs, parametric mirroring / symmetry (model only half or a quarter of the object), use parametric splines / lofts / sweeps, extrudes etc., the ability to change edge profiles or bevels later, adding procedural displacements, having several "takes" with different material or shape variations in the scene, arranging along other objects / parts, parametric instances or clones of parts, non-destructive / live booleans, create procedural assets (think of furniture objects where you can change measures or other parameters with sliders and input fields), cloth / fur (carpets, fabrics) simulation, openVDB / voxel modeling, having different perspectives / cameras, creating procedural assembly animations...

...without syncing objects between apps while keeping the geometry / objects parametric and having the object in the correct place in the scene.

In my opinion using splines and other parametric objects can be more efficient than creating static geometry in Modeler.

has anyone here moved over to a unified app but then moved back?
    i have in 2015 but that was for render speed and ease of setups. no animation was needed.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast