Thread: TC460 upgrade to SSD and Quadro?

TC460 upgrade to SSD and Quadro?

Hi guys, I'm thinking about upgrading graphics card in our old TC460 with GT640 prior to installing AE3, as someone on the forum mentioned increased responsiveness.
    But as the TC460 case only support low profile single slot cards, our option is basically 1030 (which would be fine upgrade nonetheless) or a Quadro, as they come in this form factor more often. Like this one https://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-p400
    The advantage of Quadro in this case being a third multiview output. But would it work? I think there shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work except for the TC software doesn't account for a quadro driver.
    Also, I'd like to replace the original system HDD for SSD as after five years I'm getting worried about it dying abruptly (and being spoiled by TC1 boot time…). I tried the built in backup and restore tool, but as the HDD is 1TB and SSD I tried is 120GB, it failed because it couldn't fit the data partition on it Is there a way to do it?
    Thanks!
    PS: I know none of this is NewTek approved, but it's out of warranty anyway

The TC460 can fit this:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Ca...N105TOC-4GL#kf

Keep the DVI plastic cover and remove the upper DVI screw. You will have 2 HDMI and 1 DP connectors and much better performance vs GT640.

I have no experience with Quadro.

You can use a standard partition backup software to copy the system partition and boot from SSD, but the SSD will not have the restore function. Keep the original HDD to recover when need. It is possible to create an SSD with a recover function but it is too complex to explain here.
    Last edited by mzafrany; 03-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Took a good look inside and I see now, that there are actually two slots. Thanks for the tip.
    I ordered 240 GB SSD and will try the transfer eventually. I'll try to post how it went

Update for anyone in the future looking into upgrading to SSD: I used https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html this one and it's clone function to do the transfer. Tried several others, but they all ignored the linux partition and/or didn't allow me to resize partitions.
    I did not try if the restore function works, but it boots through GRUB just like before so I assume, it would work. I'll keep the old HDD around for that...just in case.

Thanks for the graphics card suggestion mzafrany. We updated our two 460 units with these cards and they are working fine. One of the units was unable to update to AE3 until after we swapped out the card the old card. Haven't done any major work with them yet, but we plan on it after NAB.

Hi ! We have a Tricaster 455 upgraded to 460. It's recommended to upgrade to a SSD drive? Also, GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti OC Low Profile 4G upgrade is recommended?

SSD is just convenient, boot times are way faster. I eventually didn't upgrade the GPU, as I didn't really feel the need in our use.

I'm a bit late on this, imo it's always better to upgrade to an SSD before changing other stuff - if you were using your GPU for gaming then it's meh but for work and other stuff, just look at this article on Crucial's official blog

I'm currently using WD Black 2 TB version which many designers hold in high regard, but it's your choice. Here's a an article about decent SSDs reviewing my model