Thread: VFX interview - Richard Servello

VFX interview - Richard Servello

one of the better interviews on the VFX industry...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks for sharing this. Brutally honest...."they flat out told us...only 10% of you are going to be working in this industry." At least Full Sail was keeping it real. LOL.

yes, VFX ain't no 9 to 5

On a serious note, I really wonder about these schools. If what he says is true and only 10% find a job in the industry, then in a class of 30 only 3 are going to be working. And yet, with tuition costing at least $80,000, the school takes in $2.4 million. I see the numbers adding up for the school but not the students. There seems like there has to be a more affordable pathway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full_sail.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	144208
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	6 
ID:	144207  

schools don't care too much, as long as they earn money.

that said, many teachers help you getting a job, if your motivation is high.

many students drop out as well, maybe not the first year, but the 2nd or 3rd.
    either because of lack of interest or realizing it is quite time consuming to create 3D art.

you have to be somewhat of a smart nerd to do these things, and most of the population lack that motivation / interest,
    or seek other arenas where they can work less and earn more money. [politicians] [shrinks] [salesmen] etc.

it looks like "true" artists mostly are quite self-centered, smart, and hate kissing bu**
    people skills may vary.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-22-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    On a serious note, I really wonder about these schools. If what he says is true and only 10% find a job in the industry, then in a class of 30 only 3 are going to be working. And yet, with tuition costing at least $80,000, the school takes in $2.4 million. I see the numbers adding up for the school but not the students. There seems like there has to be a more affordable pathway.

There is.

Self-teach using YouTube, forums, and books.

Build a short but good portfolio and demo reel.

Work with smaller studios and build up experience.

Still no guarantee of work, but it's doable.

I should also mention that the phrase, "Location, location, location." also applies to VFX as well. That and being able to survive on a modest budget.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

"Location, location, location"
    and Contacts, Contacts, Contacts.

Self-teach using YouTube, forums, and books.
    yes, this is getting more and more applicable i think.

Here in Sweden, we have 3D schools, but the difference is that they do not cost anything to attend to. Our government pays for it.

Back in 2004 I went to a school called "School of Future Entertainment". I went from there to work with VFX/Commercials for a year, and then ended up at Massive Entertainment (now part of Ubisoft)... jeesus... I've been working at Massive for 12 years now.

That said... the schools *require* you to have your own drive. If you have, they will help you find internships etc.

EDIT: "School of Future Entertainment" had about 80% of the students finding a job in the industry (games and VFX).

A comment about that is, probably, that since here in Sweden, we didn't have to fork out $80k for a season; the students and their relatives didn't have to wory about money. That, in turn, made those that wanted this type of creative career, to be able to focus, and not worry about the outcome, as in fail / success.
    Last edited by Cageman; 02-26-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Here in Sweden, we have 3D schools, but the difference is that they do not cost anything to attend to. Our government pays for it.
    you are lucky. and yep, i'm one of those guys who are still married to that $99k loan.
    ah, how that loan loves me.

"School of Future Entertainment" had about 80% of the students finding a job in the industry (games and VFX).
    damn good actually. personally i chose another "temporary" path (pedagogic) but might get back to 3D full time or part time.

jeesus... I've been working at Massive for 12 years now.
    it's usually like that with good working environments.

------------
    p.s. you might like > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKytvLy1Diw
    Last edited by erikals; 02-26-2019 at 07:23 PM.

I enjoyed the interview. I like the part
    " Autodesk is saying...give us your money...we don't give a crap about you"
    and
    "Young artists...you can make your own movie"
    Very cool !!!
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

But then, the other 90% could be freelance, earning more than being employed, not an easy way to track those numbers/statistics as individuals are often not registered in any particular area when self employed, like me, im just a sole trader as far as government sees, the tax forms wont even let you select anything relating to 3d, closest you can get is an engineer, and what is the industry? could easily be what you make it, again like me, I go from one end of the spectrum to the other, work with individuals or very big names,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rednova View Post
    I enjoyed the interview. I like the part
    " Autodesk is saying...give us your money...we don't give a crap about you"
    and
    "Young artists...you can make your own movie"
    Very cool !!!
    Sounds about right.

Thanks for sharing this. Brutally honest...."they flat out told us...only 10% of you are going to be working in this industry." At least Full Sail was keeping it real. LOL.
    I would liek to add, how many of that 10% stayed in the industry after age 35. And at what cost to health and family?
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Cool interview.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019