Thread: Surface Material Transition Animation LW 2018

Surface Material Transition Animation LW 2018

Hello...

I'd like to be able to change surface colors/materials of an object over time.

I'm sure that LW can do it, but how?

Thanks

TrueArt Support
    To change one material to other material you can use Material Mixer. It takes Alpha parameter as input (from e.g. Vertex Maps > Weight map node), or you can use Envelope editor.

If you use the PBSDF material, you can also set envelopes to change the surface properties over time - make your object metallic, plastic, skin or glass, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	envelopes.gif 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	144183

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

To all...I'm back and struggling with trying to change an object surface and obviously not getting it. I jumped from LW10 to 2018 so I'm sure I missed a lot.
    2018 Lightwave help pages aren't much help. Is there a single tutorial that covers material transitions incorporating the suggestions above?

TrueArt Support
    You have to add Material Mixer. It takes two materials as inputs, and opacity.
    Material Mixer has Alpha. Double click on node to open settings. Then you see Alpha has E button on the right. It's opening Envelope editor, where you can add keys on timeline.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yup, as said... click the "E" to add a envelope to give property, colour, metallic,whatever... or use material mixer to blend between materials and animate the alpha value. Setting envelopes for things, and keys in the graph editor is LW 101 stuff, you'll find examples and instructions in the getting started LW vids on the LW3d site, or in the manual under envelopes/graph editor, rather than the sections on surfaces.

For more comprehensive stuff on the surfacing/rendering system in 2018+, see the links in the sig.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all