Thread: Modeler upgrade

Modeler upgrade

I started using Lightwave back in 1999. For many years I used it daily. Today, I use it occasionally, mainly for prototyping and product development. I haven't upgraded since version 8 which is about 12 years ago. My question is, has the modeler been upgraded significantly since then. It was average modeler back then, as far as I can tell there really hasn't been much done to it. Am I wrong?
    TAPSNAP

You could just try the trial version of 2019; actually using it would probably give you a better idea of what's different or upgraded.

I got the strangest feeling how this thread is going to pan out....

The answers are.
    1. Yep.
    2. Nope, not much.

Modeler has not received as many updates as Layout but you can see some features in the history page: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...htwave-history

Most upgrades to Modeler are done through free and paid third party plugins (LWCAD, TrueArt, 3rdPowers, ODTools, Pictrix, etc).

There's a new minor 2019 feature that probably took the devs less than a day to create but it is a major time-saver: CTRL-SPACE brings up an autocomplete search list of commands so you don't need to dig through menus. This may seem trivial and a quick cheat to hold off the need for other significant UI improvements, but it is appreciated.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

even though Modeler lack some stuff, some tend to forget there were some nice updates, especially during 11.5

Select Path
    Chamfer
    Edge Slide
    Translate
    Heat Shrink
    Thicken
    New Paste Behavior
    ABF Unwrap
    Align
    Align Rotate/Translate/Scale Tool

Line Pen
    Tweak
    Place Mesh
    Slice
    Straighten
    Select by Normal
    Pick Surface

------

but Modeler is far behind in terms of features, so hoping to see an update in 2020
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

It'll seem very familiar to you.

Note: Align Polygon was already in LW 8.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrookes View Post
    Note: Align Polygon was already in LW 8.
    yep, but there are two, talking Modify > Translate > Align... > Align
    edit. something wrong in the 11.6 manual, it was called "pick align" back at siggraph, then named "align" later on
    can't find it in the menu though...

fix.under Alt+F10, go to Sequence>Align add it somewhere,
    for example under Modify > Translate > Align... > Align
    Last edited by erikals; 02-14-2019 at 12:20 PM.

just adding a video on that >

Quote Originally Posted by tapsnap View Post
    I started using Lightwave back in 1999. For many years I used it daily. Today, I use it occasionally, mainly for prototyping and product development. I haven't upgraded since version 8 which is about 12 years ago. My question is, has the modeler been upgraded significantly since then. It was average modeler back then, as far as I can tell there really hasn't been much done to it. Am I wrong?
    Basically what TheLexx & 50one just mentioned. Sure, there are somethings that (still) need some TLC, but for the mostpart it'll do nearly anything you need. There are some add-ons that are well worth considering, (LWCad, ODTools, Rizom,...) but again it depends on what you need/want to do. Many scripts/plugs are free too of course. I like it largely due to familiarity I guess & I'm not in a production environment, I don't have to worry about efficiency that much. If I rdo un into something that's confusing & can't find it on YT, I'm only a posting away here to usually find someone who's already dealt with or familiar with the issue.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

if you got the cash, upgrade. or get LWcad.

if you don't, wait till the next major Modeler update.

my1cent

In version 9 they added edge support. Well at least half support, they're not quite up to the standard of most any other app. They also added catmull clark subdivision. That's been broken now for 10 or so years since 9 came out.
    They improved tumbling/OGL in version 9 as well but the editing speed is just as slow as ever on moderate polygon counts.
    Other than that, a handful of tools in 11.5, a few new tools in 2018 along with UDIM support and smoothing groups in 2019 as well as a few new UV additions but they're minor . So all in all since 1999, not much has changed. They got rid of their main modeling engineer David Ikeda several years back and haven't really replaced him and have had a modeling position advertised on their site for years now.

yep, true. Modeler improvements can happen in 1 year, or in 10. we don't know.

the NT coders talked about Modeler is "up next" back in 2015, but things are always subject to change, so...

and before someone says "you're talking bad about LightWave"

> the guy asked.

wrapping up, i have nothing more to add. other than i think Modeler currently is "alright" for my use.
    over and out.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-14-2019 at 03:17 PM.