Thread: General Information on 3D Printing

General Information on 3D Printing

Hi Lightwavers,

May I please ask some general questions about 3d printing? I have no experience and a friend of mine asked to do some simple model and I a m going to send him the file.

What should I do and what should not regarding the SubD and triangulations and more importantly format of the scene and other things that might be relevant?

Thanks a lot for your attention.

SubD will not work at all. Only polygons count. If you have LightWave 2018 or 2019, then read the documentation here: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...ith+LightWave; but this information equally applies to LightWave going back to 11.6.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Do not destroy your working file with SubDs.
    Set the SubD level you want, Freeze it.
    Check the mesh to make sure it's good for printing.
    Save a Copy of the frozen mesh so you can go back and adjust the model/SubDs after.

You really don't want to Freeze something to a higher poly count and make major edits. Minor adjustments may be necessary and that's fine.

File format depends on the slicer he uses.... but obj should be ok. Yes you have to freeze subdivision, also be aware that traditional surface smoothing does not work depending on the resolution this might be an issue. Intersecting and open geometry is a no go (sometimes the slicer can compensate for this, but don't count on it.

You'll also want the model to be a continuous manifold mesh. This means no intersecting polygons and holes. Well, technically the mesh can have 'holes' if the surface has some thickness. Basically, the surface has to be fully closed or it will fail to print. (At least with 3D printers I'm familiar with.)

If the model isn't built that way, it may be easier to retopologize the model in a program like 3D-Coat or ZBrush.

If you read the link I sent you will see that, plus other information such as to hollow out objects so that you don't waste money on unnecessary materials.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    ...plus other information such as to hollow out objects so that you don't waste money on unnecessary materials...
    Ben, most slicers now use user controlled variable infill, the days of solid models have long since gone.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Thanks for your helps. I froze my SubD.

I also had text object on the object and following Beevee and Greenlaw's advice I erased the text and used surface editor instead.

Great documentation Beevee. Thank you and thanks everyone again for your helps. I will tell you about the result after my friend gets it done.