Thread: TriCaster 460 alternate output

TriCaster 460 alternate output

I'm trying to provide an alternate video output to drive a projector from my 460 running AE2. This video output needs to be different than my MIX1 that I record/stream. I have M/E1 configured to be the right video mix that I want to output. I know that I can configure TriCaster to output M/E1 on different hardware outputs. Here's what I've tried:

- Configure MIX2 to be M/E1
    - Enable/Configure Display A to show MIX2
    - Connect projector to VGA video output on back of TriCaster

Using this setup, I'm able to show the video on the projector, but I'm confused about the resolution of the video signal. It seems to be determined by the Windows video card resolution settings (and not the TriCaster session resolution). But I haven't been able to get it configured correctly:
    - If I use 1920x1080 resolution for the secondary monitor in Windows (which matches my TriCaster session resolution), I can see the full extent of the video on the projector, but the signal is very degraded/dark and unusable
    - If I use 1280x720 resolution for the secondary monitor in Windows, the video signal is clear but is only the 'middle part' of the entire shot (the edges are all cutoff)

Questions:
    - Am I using the Display A correctly? Is it meant to be used as a secondary feed output like I'm doing?
    - What resolution should I set the secondary monitor in Windows?
    - Do I have other options to connect to TriCaster for this secondary feed output?

Thanks,
    Stephen

If you are talking about the video resolution in on DISPLAY A. This is the graphic card resolution, usually in this kind of setup you want to match the native resolution of the projector you have connected to it.

In my experience, the DISPLAY output should scale the video and aspect ratio as best possible to the resolution the output is set to. I'm not sure why it would crop the edges off. Was it cropping off the left/right edges or the top/bottom as well.

I'm not sure why the image would be darker at 1920x1080, unless this has something to do with the projector itself, but for best projection output you want to match the resolution of the projector.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Yes, it was cropping the top/bottom/left/right. As if you put a 1280x720 rectangle centered inside of a 1920x1080 rectangle.

I will research the native resolution of the projector and try to match. I may also try the TriCaster 460 HDMI video out (Output 4?) and use a hdmi-to-vga converter to go to my project. I think I remember seeing an option where I could select the resolution of Output 4 from within AE2.

HDMI output #4 will support video resolutions. If your projectors supports computer resolutions, then the DISPLAY outputs might be a better option if you get them working as you need.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

OK, I was able to use the DISPLAY output and match the resolution of the projector (1280x1024). But I'm still seeing all 4 edges cut off. See attached images of TriCaster MultiView and the projector's output.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	144033
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	144034

Notice how all 4 edges have been 'cut off'.

I have tried with various TriCaster sessions 1080i, 1080p, 720p all with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Stephen

Hmmmm. Your projector resolution is not 16:9, so no great mystery as to why it is being cropped on the sides. I'm not sure about the top and bottom, though - maybe the projector display is set to the wrong image aspect ratio or overscan setting?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Ah yes, it's becoming clearer now. I took the projector 'out of the loop' and just hooked up a computer monitor to that output. It displays correctly on the monitor. I'll tinker with the projector settings. Thanks for the help guys!

-Stephen