Thread: using Relativity

using Relativity

Hi,

In Lightwave 2018.0.6 I have modeled a flying craft (like a small airplane); I have its ‘landing gear’s wheels’ tucked in a bay, this bay has two folding doors, which fold up after take-off, and then open when the craft is going to land. I want to have the actions synchronized with four items, the control shifter for landing and take-off, the bay doors, the landing gear, and the rotating wheels. After I modeled my flying craft, I designed its control shifter, landing gear, wheels; and some morphs. I also have a morph where the engine chamber cover (hood) opens, another morph where the wheels fold up into the flying craft, and still a third morph where the flying craft’s landing gear doors would close or open. I developed my model with the wheels parented to my flying craft. Another step of the model/design was to use Lightwave ‘Relativity Tool- in the Motion Options pannel’ so that the wheels will rotate. I did measure the wheels Diameter using the measuring tool to make sure the wheels are sized to same diameter/ size. Part of this design was to open the Relativity Tool panel. And use the ‘Dr. Wheel rotator’ (tool) to enter the wheel information. After I enter each wheel’s information I attempt to move the craft. When I move the craft, my flying craft’s wheels will not rotate; and the morphs won’t work either. I have been working on this for three days and can’t find a solution to make the wheels rotate, and the other items synchronized to have a flying craft taking off, and then land in a correct manner. I would appreciate help from anyone who can give me some tips and or point me to the Lightwave manual for information, so that I can have the craft’s wheels rotate, and also synchronize the wheels, landing gear, bay doors, and the control shifter.

Thank you.
    Rizwan

Hi Rizwan,

Same problem, Dr. wheel rotator in my opinion is broken, especially when the parent moves in a non linear fashion. ie if you are using TCB spline to move the parent, Dr. wheel rotator doesn't work well. If the parent is moving in a linear way it seems to work. Also Dr. wheel rotator doesn't like it if the parent is moving on a spline that has kinks and bends in it.

LW3DG should rewrite this function as I feel it broke somewhere in the 10x releases.

Maybe send a bug report.

works in 11, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02P0TPL6nf8
    perhaps something broken in 2018?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz