Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any interest in "ancient" history?

OK. There will be a happy resolution to the saga.

The short version is the box I sent via the USPS, that they looked at & accepted, got intercepted by HazMat!!! Apparentl;y someone got paniced by water stains as I simply recycled an old cardboard box that was the best size.

Just got a call from them (finally) & have made arrangements to drop by their facility to pick the box up & take it with me, literally as I'm leaving town Friday.

So Greg at Kahala Press (who's giving them a good home), I'll rebox & resend after I get settled & add the others I found in the meantime.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Ok, finally got semi settled up North, got the new FIOS 100 MbPS up & flying splendidly , and can now relate the saga of the "Scary Box".

I took the box of manuals into the P.O. in Pasadena on a Tues. Sat. am, I'm walking back to my place from the bakery and notice my carrier parked out front and waves to me but continues to stand by the truck. As I get near enough to talk, she tells me l\that she just left a certified letter. Turns out its from the Santa Clarita (just before the I-5 Grapevine), HAZMAT division. My box has been "isolated".

The letter gives two phone numbers and hours they're open; Tues - Sat, 8a-3P and that I have 5 days to respond otherwise they'll dispose & bill me. No problem, it's Satudray 10:30 AM. Except there's no answer or message machine for either number. All day. Letting it ring 5-10 minutes for each number. My carrier tells me she used to work that division & that sometimes it could ring for 45 mins. Your tax dollars at work.

My moving truck is scheudled for 9AM Tues. Just peachy.

Fortunately in an odd sort of way, my original movers tried to pull a fast one saying that they can't get the truck close enough & will have to use a secondary shuttle. At an extra $900. Try to pull that crap wit hme less than 24 hours before deadline? I don't think so. Fortunately my guy who I'd working with ( a Poker buddy), had personally inspected the site & had no qualms so set me up with one of his regulars. Anyway, that bought me two extra (much neeeed) days & saved me nearly a grand.

So on Friday on my way out of town, I stopped by the Santa Clarita HAZMAT div., & picked up the "scary box".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	144096

And what it looked like as originally given to the PO:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	144097

I suppose one can say that "they're just doing their job", but the point I want to make is that this would NEVER have happened just a few years ago. Yes, the box had stains BUT the tape was OVER them indicating that they weren't from another package, & the box was dry indicating it wasn't from the current contents. Most anyone who had more than two brain cels to rub together could instantly tell that this was simply just an old box.

But no, common sense has pretty much been bred out of the populace, & beaten out of government employees in particular for the most part, so this is what we're left with.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12