Thread: Replace Motherboard backup battery

Replace Motherboard backup battery

I've learned that it's wise to replace the CR2032 on the motherboard of my TriCaster and 3Play after a couple of years as you don't want to allow it to run down. Once it runs down and BIOS settings change, problems begin to crop up. It's been a couple of years since I replaced the CR 2032s in my TriCasters so I was considering doing so. I wonder which is the preferred method. Since I replaced both batteries the last time only after they ran down, I was wondering, since they keep the info in the BIOS from changing, whether I should remove the cover, power up so the BIOS has power goin to it, then change the battery...OR...quickly remove the battery while powered down and disconnected from electrical?

I wasn't sure if the battery kept capacitors charged long enough to keep the BIOS settings while quickly changing the battery or not.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder

99% percent sure you don't want to be tugging on things while its powered up. Back when I replaced those things on normal computers I recall settings persisting between a battery swap where the battery is out for a 20 seconds. I would look through the bios and note the settings and give it a shot. Worst case you should be able to reconfigure them no?

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    99% percent sure you don't want to be tugging on things while its powered up. Back when I replaced those things on normal computers I recall settings persisting between a battery swap where the battery is out for a 20 seconds. I would look through the bios and note the settings and give it a shot. Worst case you should be able to reconfigure them no?
    You're probably right. Besides, while I was writing the question, I was already thinking how hard it might be getting at the battery without removing boards that might be covering it.
    Tricaster 860 and CS
    3Play 330 and CS

Sony PMW-EX3
    5-Sony HXR-NX5
    Sony Z1-U
    FCP7 & FCPX NLEs
    2-AJA KI PROs
    BM-ATEM 1ME Production Studio
    BM-HyperDeck Shuttle recorder