Thread: Change default in surface edit from BSDF to standard, and why the crashes? LW 2018

Change default in surface edit from BSDF to standard, and why the crashes? LW 2018

Working in modeler is difficult with BSDF because of the reflex spots. I have no idea what BSDF means anyway. It is difficult to work with both points and add edges in the modeler window. You can switch to sketch, but I want to work the surface without screwing around with the editor to get rid of BSDF, and bring up standard. How do you change the default in the editor to standard.

One other note: LW 2018 is crashing a lot. That is something I haven't worried about with LW before. I have no idea what is going on, but if you don't save continually there is trouble ahead. I don't like to save continually because I use revert as one of my tools. If the save next option would keep the various versions in the interface that would help. You have to go back and load the previous take from the hard drive. Maybe I am just lazy, but things would work smoother for me if v001 v002 and v003 were only a click away, instead of a load object away. May there is away to have that happen, but I don't know how to make it function?

What version of 2018 are you on?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

You have right there should be settings for default surface material. During modeling I always change it to standard.

If Modeler crash there is always a reason ;] What is your workflow before crash?

I even turned on antialiasing in GeForce settings. I always a problem slowing down older Modelers (ver. 2015.3) in for example expand selection operation.

My display options settings:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DworzecKielpinekMM.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	813.6 KB 
ID:	143848  

I'm assuming by "reflex spots" you mean specular reflection / highlight.

Just change the Specular setting in the Default surface to 0% and you won't have that issue.

BSDF (bidirectional scattering distribution function) is a mathematical function that calculates the scattering / reflection of light on surface, based on the surface and the angle. It provides the mathematical basis for how real light reacts with textures and surfaces in the real world.

In 3d, it helps provide more realistic renders because it emulates how a real-world light source would interact with any given surface.

On crashes, you would have to be more specific; what are you trying to do when it crashes?

It would also be helpful if you included a list of your computer hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    You have right there should be settings for default surface material. During modeling I always change it to standard.
    Agreed. Just as the user can set a "default scene" that's always initially loaded, so to should the user be able to define the "default surface" loaded (ideally, individually for Modeler and Layout as they have slightly different requirements, but just having a redefinable default surface would be a great start).

I'm aware you can use Layout's "default scene" mechanism to kind of do it for Layout now, but having a "officially-sanctioned" means of doing so for both Modeler and Layout would be much more efficient.

Has anyone filed a feature request on this? If not, please do either using the Feedback app or after signing into your account at https://www.lightwave3d.com/ (on the bottom right side, "Submit New Report").
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti