Thread: Program Timeline XML File

Program Timeline XML File

I'd like to be able for the Tricaster Mini and other models to create an XML file that has all the cuts I make in a program feed laid out in a multi-cam timeline for Adobe Premiere. This way, if I feel like I need to re-cut the show after the fact, all I have to do at that point is make rolling edit adjustments rather than re-create the entire show from scratch. Thank you for the consideration!

Been requested many times and sounds good in theory. So you iso-record 2, 3, or 4 cameras and have this "edit list" for Premiere. What happens when you cut to a DDR, or Buffer, or ME, or DSK and so forth? Just not practical.

Record PROGRAM and CAMERAS. Stack them up in Premiere with PROG on top layer. They are all synced already. When you see something in PROG you wish to change, cut away a segment of PROG layer to reveal desired camera layer beneath. Works great. No need to restart from scratch. If 3 iso-recordings are not enough, there are hardware and software options to record additional channels externally.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I had the same idea / wish. So I am in the progress of hacking some solution myself.

I record lectures with up to 4 cameras plus 2 NDI streams (PC screen outputs).
    During the lecture I switch input signals and mix with a variety of screen layouts (eg. lecturer wide/close; with or without PC screen; etc).
    Although we try to get as far as possible recording this live, there always happen mistakes: either the lecturer is not happy with his perfomance at a certain spot, or I did an inappropriate cut.
    Sometimes we have to stop recording and then start again recaping the last paragraph. Sometimes I just make myself a note that I messed the cut to rework that later in post.

My goal is to have a kind of semi-automated journal with the timecodes of the cuts and with labeled markers for mistakes I'll have to work on in post. Would be nice to have this journal as an XML file which I can import into Premiere as a marker track so I can quickly find and jump to the crucial timecodes where something has to be fixed.

My solution:
    All actions within the tricaster are done by preprogrammed macros and I fire them with a Novation Launchpad. And these macros do also add specific text messages to that journal.
    With other words:
    1) I press some button on the launchpad
    2) this fires a macro which does some action in the tricaster
    3) the macro as well writes some specific text to a journal

Realisation of step 3 is a bit complicate: the macro sends the text via HTTP to a webserver. The webserver receives the text, adds a timestamp and stores it in a text file. This may not be the best way to achieve the goal but my IT knowledge and my time is limited and I have to work with skills (read: code snippets) I already have. Instead of going the route via the webserver I would have preferred that the macro writes some MIDI data which then could easily be recorded by any sequencer software. But to send MIDI from tricaster you need third party software. Seems like there are compnies which offer this but I didn't find a way to test this before buying.

I am not finished with this "script-girl" project, it is work in progress and I have to do it in spare time. I already get a detailed report of all actions which happen in the Tricaster with timestamps attached. Also I designed a screen on my iPad with lots of buttons with prewritten text messages like "cut was too early", "cut was to late", "cut to wrong camera" etc which also feeds the journal. I feel that it is much faster to push one of the buttons instead of hand writing a text note together with the specific timecode - especially when the perfomance and video recording is still running and needs all my attention.
    The report is not yet in the needed XML format which could be imported into the video editor. Unfortunately I don't have experience in automated text processing so this will probably take a while to have that done.

As this is sort of hobbyist project it is not well documented and only tailored to my personal needs. So I'm not ready the share the code. But if someone feels like going the DIY road I would be happy to share my experience and general thoughts.

Greetings,
    Ralf

Did you look at Multicam Logger by Softron? I'm not sure if it would do what you need, but I just remember reading about it several months back.

Ralf, I think a better was to do what what you asking is setup a Websocket connection to the TriCaster. Then whenever an update occurs on the TriCaster an external program can be notified that a change occurred. You can then look at that change information and see if the user switched to another source on program and mark the change.

Going this route would not require you to operate the system via macros, but just run the TriCaster as you normally would. I could help you with some sample code of how to get the 'change_notification' WebSocket up and running. You could also follow things like the states settings on the TriCaster as well. For example, watch that state of the recording button and when it is active, start recording the XML information you need for Adobe.

I actually proposed some of this to a developer a while back which got the EDL-TCXD program written, but it never got the support it really needed, so I think development was dropped pretty quickly.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

(Disclaimer: I'm working at Softron)

As TheMissingLink2 said, Multicam Logger does exactly that: connect to your TriCaster using IP (just indicate its IP address). And then it will be able to record which inputs the director uses for program. You can also add markers (to indicate possible errors). We even have a REST API, so it's easy to have say an iPad with buttons add markers.

Then once the production is done, you can retrieve the different recording ISOs (or just the program recording), link it to each input used and create an XML for Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro X.

You will then have a real Multicam clip and sequence that you can use to fine tune or correct the live that was done.

Check here if you want: http://softron.tv/products/multicam-logger

Also, just in case, we'll soon be present on NDI Central Store as our recording software MovieRecorder, supports NDI input. You can thus record the camera ISOs using NDI.

Pierre

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check Multicam Logger out.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks to Pierre and Kane! Great info to dive in.

I didn't think there would be a "script girl" demand by other TriCastanians - besides having a drink with her at the after-work party :-)

@Kane:
    Yes, I am interested to see if I'll be able to read and understand "Websocket" speak. But to be honest I had to google up the term, so my IT knowledge is really basic and it is not guaranteed that I can deal with it. Therefore I'm shy to ask you anything, which will cost you time and effort. But if you can direct me towards any already existing info, I'd appreciate that.
    Regarding my use of macros: I will use macros anyway to trigger TriCaster's actions. My finite goal is to build a studio environment based on prewritten action sequences which will be operated by laypersons. Like a DIY photo booth but for recording lectures on video. Let's see how far I can get.
    Regarding EDL-TCXD and addons in general: Does installing addons from third parties induce any risk that the TC may get unstable or make the system more difficult to support? Or does it have no impact an TC's core functions - at least after the addon will be disabled/deactivated?

@Pierre:
    Indeed, "Multicam Logger" looks very close to what I was dreaming of. Good job! I will certainly look into it. Especially if this will not only log the switching of primary inputs but other actions as well, like switching MEs, recalling presets which effect position and/or zoom parameters, firing graphics/animations.

@all:
    This thread was started in the category "TriCaster Feature Requests" and I feel guilty starting an off-topic conversation. Should this thread be moved to "General TC discussion"? or at least be continued in that category?

Thanks to all!
    Ralf
    Last edited by RALF; 01-11-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    TriCaster Mini SDI AE
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface; Novation Launchpad
    BlackMagic Smart Video Hub 12x12; BlackMagic Multiview 4
    4x Panasonic AW-HE40 via SDI; Remote controller AW-RP50

It's fine ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")