Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which is better - 32 core native render or amd system or dual 2080ti gpu with octane

You'll want the Octane All Access subscription, which will give you access to any of the Octane plugins. I'm still not 100% clear if you need to purchase one 4.0 copy of one of the plugs first. If you do still need to buy one of the plugs (as your main plugin), do buy the Blender one, since I believe the future of the other one you mentioned is very much in doubt.

And others can help better than me on hardware, but don't forget that you can't go strictly by core count, and that many things out there are single-threaded, and sometimes very high clocks is much more desirable than buttloads of cores. That's what I've read anyhow. I think this might be the case with ZBrush...
    Last edited by Norka; 01-09-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    I believe the future of the other one you mentioned is very much in doubt..
    What "other one" are you referring to?

I guess I can see why one would think that since Juanjo has his hands full with awesome plugins for Houdini (Redshift and Octane). But I'm hopeful as long as Lightwave is around he'll still make time to continue to develop the plugin, especially since it is so crucial for Lightwaver users. I have confidence in his beastliness...I think he might be my favorite person.

Norka, is there any indication that Juanjo is stopping development or that Octane is stopping support for Lightwave? Any at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Norka, is there any indication that Juanjo is stopping development or that Octane is stopping support for Lightwave? Any at all?
    @Norka: And if so, please provide a citation/link to it?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I'm probably tying myself in a knot here, but isn't it that thing about Norka being asked to prove a negative - like is there and data to suggest any standstill has happened ? The LW thread at Otoy seems to have quite recent activity.

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewto...70168&start=10

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I'm probably tying myself in a knot here, but isn't it that thing about Norka being asked to prove a negative - like is there and data to suggest any standstill has happened ?
    He put forth a position ("I believe the future of the other one you mentioned is very much in doubt") which, if true, has significant negative implications. We're simply asking him whether he has any factual basis for that position (and if so, to cite it), or if it was just (baseless) speculation.

Asking him whether his position has any factual basis is quite different from asking him to "prove a negative".
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Tommy Lee Jones probably said it best in The Fugitive:
    Do you want to change your ******** story, sir?
    Last edited by Chris S. (Fez); 01-10-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12