Thread: Direction on how to proceed

Direction on how to proceed

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the past comments that have helped me so much. I need help in knowing how to proceed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	143832

I have this character that is going to have a mage type robe around her. I am also having someone rig the character as my attempts failed royally. It got me thinking though how to proceed with the robe. Do I have someone rig the character and then put the robe on? Do I just need to have a new robe modeled? And how will the character not push through the robe mesh when I move the character? I do know their is cloth fx but I have only used that once or twice for things like a table cloth falling and it was not complex.

If you have any thoughts, tutorials you know of or anything that might lead me to find the best path to proceed that would be super helpful. Thanks so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the robe you see there was not made for the character. I got it separate so it would take some work to get it to fit the character.

One more thing. I will be using it mostly for still shots with a few small movements. Trying to keep it simple as possible.

It would probably be easier to re-model the robe than to try and make it conform to the model in Lightwave, which you yourself have noted as being time consuming. You could try to scale it to size, and use Heat Shrink to bring it in close, and use drag and symmetry to tweak it until your satisfied.

You've already got a head start on re-modeling, because the figure is wearing that dress. Copy it off into another layer, put the character in the background, extend the hem and sleeves, and then tweak them 'til you like what you see.

If you had access to Marvelous Designer, this kind of stuff is what it was meant for. Export your character as .OBJ, import as an avatar into MD, and use it's tools to model and drape the robe over the avatar. When you've got it done, export the robe as .OBJ, load back into Lightwave, into another layer.

You'll want to copy the weight maps from the character to the robe. There are several tools out there, unfortunately, none are free, that can do a decent job. Otherwise, it select by vmap on the character, convert to poly selection, and hide unselected, swap the layers, so your dress is in the foreground, lasso the points that match up closest to your select, give it a weight map of the same name, set it to 100%, then use weight blur. Repeat the process for each weight map the robe has in common with the character (body, r/l hips, r/l upper legs, r/l lower legs, r/l upper arms, r/l lower arms, and possiblly r/l foot & r/l hands).

Hope this helps, and I'll be glad to answer what questions I can...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Heat Shrink to bring it in close
    also use Stretch and Point Normal Move to adjust, and perhaps Drag NetWork
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thank you. I am looking into these.

Do you have any idea what a realistic cost to have this done for me would be? If I get too stuck it may not be worth my time and when I do use freelancers I hate not having an idea of what to charge or if I pay too much. Thanks

hard to say, it takes a bit work to get cloth right.

two tests >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxyUvz_84Yg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qMfJG6Ajg

just tests, not finals, based on this you can see it can be tricky, so paying for it can involve a $200 price tag up to $2000
    it really depends on what you want.

(i have no time at the moment, sorry, so one will have to contact other freelancers at the forums, or online )
    check for example > https://www.upwork.com/hire/lightwave-freelancers/
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Sounds great. Thanks for the info.