Thread: The Pieta - my first render for 2019 ...

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar

The Pieta - my first render for 2019 ...

Occasionally I get all "sci-fied out" and can't stand the thought of rendering yet another glass canopy.

This model of Michelangelo's The Pietā was a bargain on CGTrader (part of their sales war with TurboSquid I assume), and provides an interesting study away from metal and machines.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pieta__01__Cam[3]_Frm-0115_A_@2048.png 
Views:	268 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	143757  

amazing! can you share some details about the render setup? is it Lightwave render?
    Dell XPS8700 Quad Core i7 [email protected] - 16 GB DDR3 - GeForce GTX 750ti - Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by speismonqui View Post
    amazing! can you share some details about the render setup? is it Lightwave render?
    Hey speismonqui, glad you like the render.

So this is rendered in LW using the GPU renderer Octane. I was going to post the object surface .srf file as well as the layout .lws setup, but realised both of these make us of proprietary textures, so I'd better not …

There's a very simple scene setup for Octane in play here: one Environment node uses a .hdr file for lighting, another uses a small, all-black .png file to give the background as seen.

The surfacing for the Pieta model again is fairly straight up: two Octane LiveDB material nodes getting mixed via an Octane Dirt Texture node.

The scaling of the model itself is close to about 2m high.

There is a little added "kick" happening via post processing Bloom.

The render times for this specific render more than 5hrs via 2x1080TI's, probably because I cranked the settings way high (PMC Kernel Max Samples = 8000) and the render resolution was 6K+

So here is another render, basically same model, same light direction … I've had a go at "marble."

What I mean is NOT simply the standard Octane Glossy Material offering. This Pieta's surface for this render is the whole hog, glass material (Octane's "Specular" material) - with endless hours of messing with Octane's "Scattering Medium" to try and achieve something I was happy with ...

For the super-picky: no, this is not meant to be a replica of the real thing, and no, I did not set out to create perfectly simulated marble.

Here is a link to the original 8K+ render (.jpg only): LINK

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pieta__02BB_(SingleMesh-01)__Cam[3]_Frm-0115__@2048.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	143771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pieta__02BB_(SingleMesh-01)__Cam[3]_Frm-0115.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	143772  
    Last edited by Gungho3D; 01-04-2019 at 12:30 AM.