Thread: Possible to attached Mesh Parts to Particles?

Possible to attached Mesh Parts to Particles?

Does anyone know how to attach mesh parts of my object to particles? Trying to go native but hit a wall. It's easy enough attaching parts to points of another object...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	partsToPoints.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	143706

Tried all sorts of configs, this is what I had to start (but guessed it would be far too simple!). So the idea was that the centre point of each part moves to each particle, with the relevant ID's matching up (ie, Part Index 0 sticks to Particle ID 0). Particle Info has no input so kind of stumped! Any help would be appreciated!

Name:	partsToParticles_how.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	143707

Yes, the lack of an Index input into the native Particle Info node is a substantial handicap, IMO. Thankfully, Denis has updated a lot of DPKit nodes for LW2018, including his DP Particle Info node, which *does* allow a particle index as input. The node setup becomes:

Name:	01_DPParticleInfo_DisplacePart.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	859.6 KB 
ID:	143726

subtracting the Part's center position since otherwise the Particle's position is added to the Part's local coordinates. The "Set" mode on the Displacement doesn't seem to work (not sure why??).

The LW2018 updated DPKit is available here:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/pl...l_Nodes_2.html

with the Download link on the left panel. Remember to support Denis financially if you can!!

Sample scene attached, with the Surface of the spheres changing color as they gain distance from the Emitter:

Name:	Final_Render_000.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	143727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_030.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	143728

Name:	Final_Render_060.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	143729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_090.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	143730

MOV file: PartMove_MatchParticleIndex_DPKit2018.mov

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks mTp. That’s exactly what I’m after but no DP Kit for Mac (currently?) so found an alternative route.

I donated earlier in the year when it was unsure on DP Kits future, really hoping someone he’s happy working with can lend a hand in a Mac version.

OK, sorry! I'm not a Mac person so I can't help with the port / compiles of DPKit at all. Unfortunately, I think Mac-only LW users who might be able to help with the port / compiles (i.e. have the Mac development pipeline installed and are familiar with it) may not be aware of how incredibly versatile and extensive and helpful DPKit nodes are!

Or, of course, they *might* be busy and have no cycles to spare for the effort!

mTp

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Or, of course, they *might* be busy and have no cycles to spare for the effort!
    Or offered to help, but never heard anything back.

It's quite limiting to not have access to DP nodes etc. for LW Mac, no question there.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti