Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: depth map from a single photo

depth map from a single photo

Does anyone know of a tool to help create depth maps from a single photograph? I'm trying to composite 3D elements into photographs and depth maps would be a huge assist.

So far, I've found Topaz's Lens Effects plugin to be a decent solution (US$60). It's a manual solution, but looks easy enough to use for my needs, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives.

Thanks!
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

It's probably going to be a manual process of creating the depth maps in photoshop or something. Unless you can use 3D standin objects to create them. You can use a 3d model, in its properties, check "Matte Object". Change the color to white. Then use a black linear fog color in the Render Properties > Volumetrics tab. You can use a much simpler object than the one showing in my example. Usually, simpler works better.

What type of photographs are they? Landscapes, people, architecture?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Depth_Map_01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	143691

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Does anyone know of a tool to help create depth maps from a single photograph? I'm trying to composite 3D elements into photographs and depth maps would be a huge assist.

So far, I've found Topaz's Lens Effects plugin to be a decent solution (US$60). It's a manual solution, but looks easy enough to use for my needs, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives.

Thanks!
    As a matter of fact, https://topazlabs.com/lens-effects/ was my first introduction to Topaz Labs. Haven't come across anything similar yet. Think I've most of their products now.

Ya, you could to it all in Photoshop, or Affinity, etc., but nowhere near as easy & fast.

Take a look at their Remask tool too, particlularly if trying to do intricated detail & transparency.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Axis3d View Post
    What type of photographs are they? Landscapes, people, architecture?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Depth_Map_01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	143691
    I'm really just playing for now. I've got some simple toys...a plastic shark and a diver in a cage, for example, to photograph, then add some 3D elements like a shipwreck or something. Nothing photorealistic and nothing too precise.

To get started, I'm okay with some manual labor on these since the objects will be simple and photographed on a key-able background.

@Ma3rk -- I've been using ON1's Photo Raw for my photo editing, but they don't really have a tool like the Depth Mask creator. It looks easy enough and may be worth the money if I can't find anything else.
    Last edited by sadkkf; 12-26-2018 at 12:53 PM.

That's cool. Once you take the photograph of your toy setup, you can then replace the toys with a box to photograph. A box will have X, Y, and Z information, which you can use in Lightwave as a still backdrop. You can use LW's "Match Perspective" feature to align your 3D camera to the same focal length and angle as your real camera when you shot the toys. This will go much farther to help you align 3d objects into your photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    As a matter of fact, https://topazlabs.com/lens-effects/ was my first introduction to Topaz Labs. Haven't come across anything similar yet. Think I've most of their products now.

Ya, you could to it all in Photoshop, or Affinity, etc., but nowhere near as easy & fast.

Take a look at their Remask tool too, particlularly if trying to do intricated detail & transparency.
    I haven't actually upgraded Photoshop since CS6. Do you know if this plugin with work with it? I can try the demo version later. It's too bad there isn't a standalone version of this.

Probably not what you are looking for as it is for material creation but have you seen what Materialize can do ?

http://www.boundingboxsoftware.com/m...lize/index.php

It's free, so wont cost you anything to take a look but it is only available for Windows.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

I haven't actually upgraded Photoshop since CS6. Do you know if this plugin with work with it? I can try the demo version later. It's too bad there isn't a standalone version of this.

That's the version of Photoshop I still use. Actually, the whole Creative Studio Suite. I refuse to be a part of Adobes extortio..."subscription" scheme.

I worked with Joe A. at Topaz for some weeks awhile back to get the script (on Topaz's Help page https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/...dobe-Photoshop) to install into CS6 correctly & now it does. They install into current version of Affinity Photo just fine as well, but that's a simple process as described in their docs.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Probably not what you are looking for as it is for material creation but have you seen what Materialize can do ?

It's free, so wont cost you anything to take a look but it is only available for Windows.
    That's pretty cool. I've been using CrazyBump, but it doesn't do anything with depth maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post

Of course. Guess who picked up Allegorithmic's bitmap2material back in September?

That's the version of Photoshop I still use. Actually, the whole Creative Studio Suite. I refuse to be a part of Adobes extortio..."subscription" scheme.

I worked with Joe A. at Topaz for some weeks awhile back to get the script (on Topaz's Help page https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/...dobe-Photoshop) to install into CS6 correctly & now it does. They install into current version of Affinity Photo just fine as well, but that's a simple process as described in their docs.
    That's great! I'm not a fan of Adobe anymore for the same reason. Just done with them.

And to install this for CS6 you needed a special script?

That's great! I'm not a fan of Adobe anymore for the same reason. Just done with them.

And to install this for CS6 you needed a special script?
    Ya was just a litte ways down on that page but seems things have changed, but just go here:

https://support.topazlabs.com/hc/en-...cles/217970708

Ya was just a litte ways down on that page but seems things have changed, but just go here:

https://support.topazlabs.com/hc/en-...cles/217970708
    Actually, I just tried installing it and it works without the helper. This is version 1.30. Are you using an older version?

Actually, I just tried installing it and it works without the helper. This is version 1.30. Are you using an older version?
    Of which? The bat utility? It's listed as ver 1.3.3 now. Oh, Lens Effects. Ya, 1.3 is the last.

Good deal then.

Remember to duplicate your layer first with the Topaz Plugs as they aren't non-destructive, although I think there's a Smart Object option. Easier for me to just dupe the layer frankly.

Also, Topaz Labs and Topaz Studio are separate toolsets but both can live in your PS Filter menu. You'll have a Topaz Labs tab, and a Topaz Studio tab. Confusing perhaps, but so it goes.

Most of their tools have a batch operation option too. No real way to batch ReMask, although there was a thread on the Mocha Pro forum.

I used Studio last week to clean up some graininess on a rendered sequence; quite fast, ~ 4 mins to run through a 120 frame seq.

Ok, so now that your nose in in the Topaz tent so to speak, ya might as well go check out their BW Effects 2.

Remember to duplicate your layer first with the Topaz Plugs as they aren't non-destructive, although I think there's a Smart Object option. Easier for me to just dupe the layer frankly.
    That's a good tip, thanks!

I do like the tools they have, but they're a little pricey for me. That's why I went the On1 route. All of their tools are in one package and don't require Photoshop. Still, Topaz has some effects I can't get with On1. The BW 2 plugin is really amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast