Thread: deform along curve

deform along curve

Hi everyone!

I am looking for two tools

1. A deformer that would let me create a curve and then select an object and have the object deform along it

2. Similar to above but let's say I have a repeatable pattern can I repeat said object along the curve. (theoretically I could just copy multiple versions of it in a line and do the same using the above tool)

An example here would be bending a watch band along a curve to get it to look round etc...

Thanks in advance.

and happy holidays.

Do you mean like 3rd Powers sticker tool ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4N5sgBbvUw#t=22s

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Do you mean like 3rd Powers sticker tool ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4N5sgBbvUw#t=22s
    Thanks for the quick reply. That tool is awesome and i will be getting it regardless but can i create a curve and use the curve as my guide to deform my model or does it have to be other geometry?

I assumed there was some kind of native tool to place an object along a curve.

Is this in Modeler or Layout? In other words, do you want the curve to create fixed geometry based upon a repeating item, or (in Layout) have the object dynamically deform along a curve?

To do this in Modeler, you can use Rail Clone: Create the base (template) geometry in Layer 1 centered around (0,0,0), use Add Points and CTRL-P to create a curve (called a rail for the tool) in Layer 2. Put Layer 1 (geometry) in the foreground, ALT-2 to put Layer 2 (rail) in the background, and use Rail Clone with the desired number of instances (knots):

RailClone_Modeler.mov

To do this in Layout, you do the same modeling except the Rail Clone: model the geometry in Layer 1, the curve in Layer 2. Save and send to Layout:

InstancerClone_Modeler.mov

In Layout, select Layer 2 and use Curve to Spline to create a Spline. Add an Instancer (Object Properties=>Instancer panel), and in the Instancer add the Layer 1 Object to be Instanced. Set the Instancer type to Spline, set the Distribute button "on", and then scroll the Number of Instances to fill in the curve:

InstancerClone_Layout.mov

mTp

P.S. The CurveToSpline tool may not be in the default menus for whichever version of LW you're using. You may have to use Edit=>Edit Menu Layout... and the Search / Find function to find it and add it into the menu hierarchy.
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 12-25-2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add MOV files; P.S. re: Curve To Spline in menus

As always you are all awesome!

Thanks so much

great support here from a great group!

Quote Originally Posted by ilanvfs View Post
    As always you are all awesome!

Thanks so much

great support here from a great group!
    You can also use spline guide in native modeler, you first need to create a curve in a background layer, then with your object layer active, click on modify/transform/spline guide, hit "n" to bring up the panel, then click on get background curve..set operation to bend.
    There are also some free tools from pictrix, curve bend I think, that does a similar operation as mentioned above, the plugins may be a bit hard to find if at all nowadays though.

Otherwise..if itīs not an absolute need to to in Lightwave, there are free software that handles curves and things like that much better, including repeating pattern and does so parametricly unlike lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You can also use spline guide in native modeler, you first need to create a curve in a background layer, then with your object layer active, click on modify/transform/spline guide, hit "n" to bring up the panel, then click on get background curve..set operation to bend.
    There are also some free tools from pictrix, curve bend I think, that does a similar operation as mentioned above, the plugins may be a bit hard to find if at all nowadays though.

Otherwise..if itīs not an absolute need to to in Lightwave, there are free software that handles curves and things like that much better, including repeating pattern and does so parametricly unlike lightwave.
    Spline guide seems to have a bug for me where it won't let me wrap around completely. For example if there is a point before it then it makes a wall of sorts to stop the next point from coming before it on any axis.

I can't make a loop with it.

in Modeler, try C bend plugin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iCNOkWYncs
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    in Modeler, try C bend plugin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iCNOkWYncs
    Yes that's literally the tool I was looking for! Problem solved. I have a new problem but ill post a new thread lol!

Some of the controls in lightwave are so different than maya in terms of the thought process that I am still running in to confusion but man oh man I love lightwave for some reason right off the bat.

cool

yes, LightWave does have its strengths.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz