Thread: SpeedHQ Codecs

SpeedHQ Codecs

Hello.

Has anyone else noticed that the SpeedHQ codecs no longer show up when using Mac OS 10.14+ and Adobe CC 2019+?

That's a problem when I need to use transparency, since ProRes doesn't work well with Tricaster and Animation is too big a file.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Imry

Adobe (like many other companies) is no longer using the Apple's QuickTime libraries in their products, as a consequence, no 3rd party QuickTime codecs will appear for use. You will have use what Adobe provides, Animation is currently the best choice for alpha channel export, then import this using the TriCaster import tool.
    Last edited by kanep; 12-21-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok. Thanks.
    So there’s no future for the codec on macs? The codec will be retired, or eventually replaced by something else?

I think there are plans, but in the short term many companies are moving away from Apple's QuickTime libraries and with good reason. Apple is going to removing support to 32-bit application in the next major version of OSX. This means that all 3rd party QuickTime codecs will no longer operate. Apple's replacement media framework 'AV Foundation' doesn't support 3rd party codecs. On the Window's side, the Apple QuickTime libraries haven't been supported for a few years now and have never been that high performance to use.

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/blo...d_out_in_macos

Basically, that means on the Mac, applications will either have access to what Apple provides in AV Foundation, they will have to use another media framework (like FFMPEG or MFormats) or develop something themselves (unlikely in most cases, but this is the route Adobe went). Be prepared for bumps in the road.
    Last edited by kanep; 12-21-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

ProRes4444 is what we've moved to. Works fine but file sizes are large

195/5000
    Our question is this: we have many many AVI files with 32 bit transparency with newtek sqh codec and PREMIERE and AVID does not support them nowadays. WHAT CAN WE DO?!!!

I just tried an AVI/SpeedHQ file with alpha and it worked without issue in Adobe Premiere. I didn't test Avid, but I'm pretty sure that Avid has never supported AVI files with alpha channel.

Otherwise, load the AVI/SpeedHQ file into After Effects and then export it into another alpha channel supporting export format.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you very much, but we have trouble reading with ADOBE PREMIERE AND AVID videos created in SHQ3 codec saved 2 years ago. :-(
    gives error continuously. Of course I have installed the SHQ codec that we DOWNLOAD THIS WEEK OF NEWTEK

Hello,

I am trying to (re)install the codec.The installation did not give errors. But I cannot find the codec anywhere.
    On a previous installion on my mac I could make a compressor preset of the newtek codec, but I had reinstall my mac. And now running Mojave I cannot find the codec in compressor. Any tips?

Kind regads

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by SalemAV View Post
    195/5000
    Our question is this: we have many many AVI files with 32 bit transparency with newtek sqh codec and PREMIERE and AVID does not support them nowadays. WHAT CAN WE DO?!!!
    Install Windows10 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredinternet View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to (re)install the codec.The installation did not give errors. But I cannot find the codec anywhere.
    On a previous installion on my mac I could make a compressor preset of the newtek codec, but I had reinstall my mac. And now running Mojave I cannot find the codec in compressor. Any tips?

Kind regads

Fred
    On Windows10 you need different Newtek codecs for 32bit and 64bit applications.
    64bit codecs are not visible in 32bit applications.
    Don't know about OSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredinternet View Post
    Hello,

Kind regads

Fred
    You can verify if the codec files are installed on the system by looking in the follow location.

Macintosh HD>Library>QuickTime
    There should be a bunch of files labeled as "SpeedHQ#.component" in that folder.

If you are not seeing them as available in the application, it mostly likely is the case that the application is using Apple's AV Foundation media framework libraries (or some other media framework) instead of the previous QuickTime media framework libraries. Only applications using the QuickTime media framework can use 3rd party codecs, the QuickTime media framework is being phased out of OSX.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.