Thread: Multiple Tricaster NDI Question

Question Multiple Tricaster NDI Question

If I had 8 1080sdi cameras feeding one 8000 to another 8000 on the same network, should I be able to pick up all 8 cameras on the 2nd 8000 and what sort of cabling/switch would I need to go 100m (350ft)?

Yes. Both Tricasters will see all sources and all mixes of the other Tricaster. Not a problem.

I don't understand the question about cables. Cables for what?
    Both Tricasters need to be on the same network, and ideally on the same subnet (though you can get around that).
    The camera length is not a consideration. You want to make sure that the Ethernet cable from each Tricaster to the nearest switch/router is less than 300 ft., but that's that. The two Tricasters can be miles from each other, as long as the network infrastructure is good.

Quote Originally Posted by imryh View Post
    Yes. Both Tricasters will see all sources and all mixes of the other Tricaster. Not a problem.

I don't understand the question about cables. Cables for what?
    Both Tricasters need to be on the same network, and ideally on the same subnet (though you can get around that).
    The camera length is not a consideration. You want to make sure that the Ethernet cable from each Tricaster to the nearest switch/router is less than 300 ft., but that's that. The two Tricasters can be miles from each other, as long as the network infrastructure is good.
    Thanks very much for the reply, sorry I wasn't very clear.

If there's no exsisting network and I just want to link the 2 Tricasters using just CAT6 how long can the cable be, the 300ft you mentioned?

A good Ethernet cable should operate up to 100 meters (just over 300 feet). If the environment has lots of interference, you might want look at Ethernet cables which are Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) instead of Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP). Make sure you ground the shield if go with STP Ethernet cable or it doesn't help.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane, I'm trying to reduce rig time.

Is a standard giga-switch enough and could I run two return NDI feeds back to the send machine, so 10 1080 sources in total?
    Last edited by Goldenthesarge; 12-21-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Yes. I would recommend - for stability, simplicity and expandability - that you set up a quick small network with a small gig router.
    We do it all the time. NDI works great. If you place the router in the middle, you also get to double your NDI distance with the Cat6 cables...