Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NDI 3.8 Tools

NDI 3.8 Tools

Is the 3.8 still restricted for some to work on on Windows 8 and above. Or can Windows 7 now use all the features?

NDI Tools
    - Microsoft Windows operating system (32-bit compatible; 64-bit recommended)
    - NDI Scan Converter requires Windows 8 or better
    - NDI Virtual Input require Windows 7 or better
    - All other NDI Tools require Windows Vista or better
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

The installer for 3.8 has issues on some machines. It forcefully reboots the computer in the middle of the install (i.e. doesn't prompt you to reboot, it initiates the command blindly), unless you cancel the reboot prompt (the work-is-unsaved-do-you-want-to-continue prompt).

On my own computer it did this twice while the installer had lost focus (like there was an overlaying window somewhere I couldn't find). On another computer on it did this once but I caught it quickly enough to cancel the reboot. The install completed after canceling the reboot sequence.

As a side note, it didn't do this on either of the TC1 systems where I installed the update.

The new version fixed one of two issues I found today in 3.7.4, so it's nice to have a quick fix one of those.

Where can I submit a bug for the remaining issue--email ticket or a forum post?

Yes, NDI 3.8 installer tried that on me as well on Windows 10 PC. This is my office/work computer and I had LOTS of stuff open, so not cool that it tried to shut everything down on me without warning!

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Yes, NDI 3.8 installer tried that on me as well on Windows 10 PC. This is my office/work computer and I had LOTS of stuff open, so not cool that it tried to shut everything down on me without warning!
    Thanks
    I am really sorry about this and certainly this not by design at all. I've personally run the Tools builds on my machines hundreds of times (at least!) and it has not rebooted so I am not entirely sure what might have done this. What would be very helpful to me would be if someone can spot the exact step that is shown on screen in the installer when it reboots because this might give me a hint as to which step is inadvertently causing the system to decide to spontaneously reboot. One thing that would good to know is if this ever happens twice ... if you install once and then a second time does it ever happen again ? If it does not then that would explain why maybe I've not seen it and give me a big hint as to what is causing it.

I'm off to crawl through the installer and try to guess what it could be.

Andrew

ps. The Windows 8 limitation on scan converter is simply that Windows 7 did not support Display Window Manager (DWM) fully, which is how we get high performance screen capture.

Both my machines are Windows 10 Pro with the 1803 build. I did notice that my computer had a reboot pending from Windows Update. I don't know if that was related or if my other computer where it rebooted had the same situation (I didn't check before rebooting).

The installer was still at the initial step, with no progress on the progress bar. On both machines I couldn't focus on the window--the familiar ding saying you gotta click that other window that is over top. There were even two windows to Alt-tab between, but that didn't help me select the proper window...like the one over top was invisible or something. There was only one window on the task bar so I couldn't do the right-click move window from the imaginary external monitor (the bug in Windows that has existed for decades?).

After cancelling the reboot I came back to the installer still at no progress. On the computer where it attempted to reboot only once, it immediately sped across the progress bar and finished. On my computer where it attempted to reboot twice, it stayed at no progress until after the second reboot was cancelled, then sped across the progress bar and finished. I ended up doing a reboot anyways on both computers since most critical programs were already shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Both my machines are Windows 10 Pro with the 1803 build. I did notice that my computer had a reboot pending from Windows Update. I don't know if that was related or if my other computer where it rebooted had the same situation (I didn't check before rebooting).

The installer was still at the initial step, with no progress on the progress bar. On both machines I couldn't focus on the window--the familiar ding saying you gotta click that other window that is over top. There were even two windows to Alt-tab between, but that didn't help me select the proper window...like the one over top was invisible or something. There was only one window on the task bar so I couldn't do the right-click move window from the imaginary external monitor (the bug in Windows that has existed for decades?).

After cancelling the reboot I came back to the installer still at no progress. On the computer where it attempted to reboot only once, it immediately sped across the progress bar and finished. On my computer where it attempted to reboot twice, it stayed at no progress until after the second reboot was cancelled, then sped across the progress bar and finished. I ended up doing a reboot anyways on both computers since most critical programs were already shut down.
    Thank you so much, since the last post I've been sitting staring at the installer. I think I might have worked it out. One of the things that the new tools do (and NDI 3.8) is move everything to Visual Studo 2017 ... which should be a 10% speed improvement based on that alone (This has been a lot of work to get everything ported...). I think that the new Visual Studio 2017 redistributable installer thinks that it should reboot the computer by default ... I am going to try to get you guys a test installer tonight if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    Thank you so much, since the last post I've been sitting staring at the installer. I think I might have worked it out. One of the things that the new tools do (and NDI 3.8) is move everything to Visual Studo 2017 ... which should be a 10% speed improvement based on that alone (This has been a lot of work to get everything ported...). I think that the new Visual Studio 2017 redistributable installer thinks that it should reboot the computer by default ... I am going to try to get you guys a test installer tonight if I can.
    I just tried running the installer from my home computer. It sat on the "Install Prerequisites (x86) ..." step for about 8 minutes and then it forcefully rebooted my computer. My work computer acted similarly (delay). Apparently I didn't have enough important stuff open this time, as I didn't get the option to cancel the reboot, and I just don't know my command prompt well enough to do that in the 1-2 seconds grace window.

I also had a pending Windows Update on this computer, which installed during the reboot. Since the reboot cancelled the install, I will try running the installer again and see if it again tries the reboot. If it does, then I have a good test machine to try your fixed installer.

Also, I got a screenshot of alt-tab showing two setup windows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alt-Tab.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	143666
    Last edited by bwood; 12-20-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: adding screenshot

It rebooted during the second install attempt, so I guess Windows Update has nothing to do with it. I saw that this time I started with the "Install Prerequisites (x64) ..." step this time. It stayed there briefly (10-20 seconds) and then I saw a very brief glimpse (0.25 seconds or 0.5 seconds) of something like "Updating your computer, this will just take a moment" and then it rebooted. Again I failed to cancel the reboot.

I can test a new installer whenever you have it ready.
    Last edited by bwood; 12-20-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: clarifying first sentence

Lightbulb Fun for the whole family

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    I can test a new installer whenever you have it ready.
    Here you go, this is a test that I built tonight ... I suspect it will fix the problem and we'll put it live tomorrow after QA testing tomorrow AM. This has a few other fixes that we have found along the way as well although there is nothing particularly important.

Andrew's experimental installer fun (TM).

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    Here you go, this is a test that I built tonight ... I suspect it will fix the problem and we'll put it live tomorrow after QA testing tomorrow AM. This has a few other fixes that we have found along the way as well although there is nothing particularly important.

Andrew's experimental installer fun (TM).

Andrew
    No reboot on that installer, nice work!

I think the message I didn't get a good read on before the previous reboot was "Install .Net Update (Might take a few minutes) ...". I guess each time I've run it I get a little bit farther and don't have to repeat the previous progress.

Hey everyone, I've also experienced the reboots on the installer, which didn't cause any problems on the several machines cause i would catch the reboot...except for one of them. The installer completed, and it works for regular NDI sources, but NDI|HX signals do not work, specifically from Panasonic PTZ cameras. Now I have uninstalled and reinstalled this several times, done windows updates, downloaded Andrew's experimental installer fun (TM) and run that one, installed NDI 3.8 Runtime, and even installed the Panasonic HX specific drivers and still can't get NDI|HX to work. I've used the same 3.8 installer on many other computers and all of them work with this one except this one machine. Before installing 3.8, the panasonic cameras worked fine.

After these didn't work, I even updated the firmware to the latest Panasonic firmware.

What am I missing? Is there something I should to do to initiate HX when it isn't working?

Anyone, no thoughts at all? What would be keeping this from working on two machines, and not running on others? Same windows build, same exact installer. Are there things I should try to uninstall/reinstall, folders to remove, dependencies I should download?

I'd contact support. What does it not see the camera or connect but not get any video? Can you try using NDI Access Manager and manually entering in the Panasonic PTZ to see if that makes any difference?
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

It sees the camera just fine, and gives me the HX needs to be installed error (even though I've clearly installed NDI TOOLS 3.8). Other NDI sources work just fine, but direct from the camera it wants HX drivers. Access manager doesn't change anything. What part of support should I contact?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast