Thread: Recording onto USB3 Memory Stick

Recording onto USB3 Memory Stick

Hi,

I did a job last week were I needed to record 2 inputs and also archive the Production as H.264. Ideally I would like to record them all as H.264. Anyway I was concerned that my Tricaster Mini wouldn't be able to record all 3 onto it's Hard Drive fast enough so I recorded 1 onto a fast USB 3.0 Memory stick plugged into one of the Blue USB sockets. The job last just over 3 hours and the recordings on the Tricaster Hard Drives were 3 hours long but he one on the Memory Stick stopped after 45 min but there was NO obvious warning so I didn't know until I downloaded after the event. The size of the 45 min recording was 33Gb but there was still 80Gb left on the stick.

Is there any reason why the Tricaster stopped recording onto the USB Stick was it because of CPU over use? or something else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

For you informatio the USB Stick was a SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 128Gb.

I believe TriCaster prefers drives to be formatted as NTFS and if using ExFAT, that could be the issue. And especially don't use FAT32 since that has a small file size limit.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

While USB3 can be used, I would recommend that a USB hard drive or SSD be the target versus a memory stick. Unless you know the memory stick is high performance model and you have tested it. Some memory sticks, while having USB3 interface, aren't that fast for sustained recording.

NTFS is highly recommend as Jeff says. exFAT can work as well, but FAT or FAT32 formatting cannot be used (FAT32 is very common for the default formatting of memory sticks). These 'FAT' file systems will limit file-size to 4Gb, which is why I'm guessing it stopped at after a set amount of time, the file got as large as the file system would allow.
    Last edited by kanep; 12-17-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Jeff and Kane,

My memory stick is fast enough as it is a USB 3.1 and I get transfer speeds of upto 125 Mbits/s on this using the USB3 port. I take on board you point of formating and as this is a 128 Gb stick it might be formated as exFAT and I will reformat at NTFS. I will use my USB 3 Portable hard drive next time though.

Thanks again for your comments I will post with the results so other users have this thread as a reference.

Happy Christmas