Thread: PTZ focus in full zoom

PTZ focus in full zoom

Hi,

I use my PTZ for Auctions and place the camera at the back of the Hall pointing at the Auctioneer. The Auctioneer isn't lit by any lighting just the practicals in the Auction Ring. The problem I have is when I zoom into the Auctioneer there is no way to get him into good enough focus. I can turn up the gain on the camera but that make the picture very noisy and doesn't improve the sharpness of the image. Increasing the sharpness on the camera just sharpens up the noise.
    My point is that with Broadcast camera specifications you used get a sensitivity reading such as f5.6 @ 2000 Lux which would give you an idea of how much light the camera needed. Unfortunately the PTZ camera has no details in it's specs nor do other manufacturers so their is no easy way to compare cameras.
    With any Broadcast Camera you can usually focus in even in very low light but the focal length is very short. With my PTZ I don't seem to be able to focus on full zoom in normal indoor lighting over a distance of approx 30m.

Hi Frank,

First, make sure you have installed the latest firmware for the camera - there was a known issue with auto-focus that was greatly improved with new firmware. Next, you can set MANUAL focus on the camera from the TriCaster PTZ controls (found under gear), and that precise Manual Focus setting will then be saved if you snapshot the PTZ preset.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks for the post Jeff,

I believe it is on the latest firmware but I last checked a month ago. I was using manual focus so that I could go between different saved scenes without it wasting time auto focusing in. I will admit that I am use a Skaarhoj controller and that manual focus seems to be in steps as apposed to continuous so I might just be passing the sweet spot. Even so the focusing reminds me of when I tried to focus up broadcast tube cameras in low light and it would always be a bit soft on full zoom. I have attached a snapshot to show the issue.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec Auctioneer.mov_snapshot_01.26.00_[2018.12.17_19.34.51].jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	143646

The snapshot is helpful - I've seen that look before, seems common on PTZ cameras I've worked with and even some small camcorders. Like you said, by-product of full zoom perhaps?

As you mentioned the controller working in steps, perhaps TRY the software controls under PTZ tab in TriCaster, which has maybe a finer adjustment available. Just to create the preset with best focus if possible to improve.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

My gut feeling is that the Newtek PTZ Camera hasn't got either Good enough glass or a good enough sensor to focus over 10x in normal room light conditions. I had turn up the Brightness, reduce the contrast and up the gain to get that image and what the camera is really doing is messing with the Gamma curve on the image it has which is why the faces are washed out.

I would be interested to see what the new Bird Dog PTZ are like as they highlight the fact they use Sony Broadcast Sensors and not cheaper Security camera sensors.