Thread: Speaking of Fluids....

Speaking of Fluids....

I want to get into something I've often admired from afar but never was hands on myself. Fluid simulations. What are the LW plugins to consider that work with current LW and/or standalone fluids software package?

Deep Rising FX?
    NextLimit RealFlow?
    Houdini?

I did pay for a year sub to Houdni Indie a couple of years ago but due to time constraints never did put much effort into learning it and subsequently let the license expire. I still may opt for a 2 year sub soon and commit some time as I am getting the itch to learn it. I could just use Apprentice but never do like being limited by locked capabilities.

I spent a bit of time on the goggle looking for suggestions but haven't come across much in terms of LW compatibility or being in the "affordable" range. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

It you are on LW 2018 and have OD_tools, then a very efficient and cheap way is Flip fluids for blender and import in LW. Oliver has added a script in OD_tools that allows for direct export of fluid, foam, spray and bubbles as obj sequences from blender, and even creates a lightwave scene. I've been using it with much fun since then !

An example below :

Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 12-14-2018 at 09:47 AM.

^
    Yes, it was actually some post here about Flip that nudged me into delving into fluid plugins more. The comment in that thread was it would be great if Flip was made into a LW plugin. However, I for one just never got into Blender. But if it's a case of learning enough Blender just to buy and use Flip maybe I'll bite.

I do not have OD_Tools but it is on my "to buy" list as well. I missed a discount sale on it long ago and hope there is another sale one of these days.

Well, OD_tools is a no brainer, imho. As for Blender, I almost only use it for flip fluids, right now. Very straightforward..

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    It you are on LW 2018 and have OD_tools, then a very efficient and cheap way is Flip fluids for blender and import in LW. Oliver has added a script in OD_tools that allows for direct export of fluid, foam, spray and bubbles as obj sequences from blender, and even creates a lightwave scene. I've been using it with much fun since then !

An example below :

Looking pretty nice, though the water particles that spreads away on the higher ground surface is to flickery and blobby.
    You should add a nice strong sunlight to that scene, perhaps together with lw volumetrics as well.

I need to look in to flip fluids for blender for sure, is the OD_tool scrip free? OD_tools purchase required?..unfortunately I havenīt been keeping up with his presets and tools so I do not know the cost etc.

Houdini + OD Tools for quality fluids

https://vimeo.com/295190411

edit; not sure if it imports particles ?

Well, OD_tools is a no brainer, imho.
    yup.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-14-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Houdini + OD Tools for quality fluids
    The more I think about OD_Tools the more I think of resubbing to Houdini Indie.

right now i'm running Apprentice, and will resub Houdini Indie at a later time. works well, and money saved.

^
    So you can export out of Apprentice and by way of OD_Tools get the sim into LW?

as far as i recall, yes. might need to check up on that. been a lazy 3D year over here.

As I continue to peruse the web to make my "Try & Buy" list I came across this:

http://hurleyworks.com/portfolio-ite...ortfolioCats=4

Anyone use HurleyWorks plugins? Comments?

note, only creates a mesh sequence, no particles or foam

could still be useful, unfortunately i haven't been able to test it much... because of the usual... time... or rather lack of it... [agh]

more info on his Youtube channel >
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HurleyworksInc/videos

^
    You quickly answered one of my internal queries: particles & foam support. Thanks!

I did start looking at his YT channel and came across a dedicated thread here for it. I will follow his development to see if things progress.

I DL'd the Deep Rising demo to give a whirl over the holidays.

yeah, hope they both continue it so that it can compare slightly more to Houdini fluids

Youtube - Deep Rising >
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbM...PH2EdDA/videos

never the less, glad we have these alternatives now

Up
    DeepRising
    Blender Fluids import via OD
    Houdini Fluids import via OD