Thread: Imported Audio Workflow

Imported Audio Workflow

From what I've read Bowie post in previous threads. "The Tricaster ads just enough audio delay to match the video processing -- about 2 frames."

We're using an external sound board since we require more functionality than what is available in the TriCaster. So all of our audio is coming in on Input 16 of our TC1. We are not noticing any preset 2 frame delay of the audio happening in our TC1. The audio is simply ahead of our video without introducing our own delay. In order to have our sound in sync with our cameras coming in via SDI, we're adding 120 milliseconds to our 60p project.

So that's solved at that level.

However, if we want to run a video package in a ddr AND have our various talent auxes hear the video AND be able to have our sound engineer be in control of that volume (and thus all levels during the broadcast) -- we are sending the TC1 sound out of the aux (and not the master) to the sound board.

The final mix again comes in to input 16. However, now I've added 120 millisecond delay to audio that's already in sync..... SOOOOO - we've been bumping our audio 2 frames ahead in all of our videos before importing them.

Now everything is in sync once it hits twitch, our sound engineer has full control of all levels, and our talent can get all the unique mixes the can possibly desire.

But any audio we need to run on the fly will have it's audio off by 120 milliseconds unless we route it through an SDI input to delay the video 120 milliseconds.

I'm just wondering if there's a different way that I'm not seeing, or a way to delay the video out of the DDR without having to edit the audio ahead in advance. That option is not available via the DDRs.

It's possible I've already solved this the best way possible, but just curious if anyone else who uses an external sound board has a different workflow.

Thx!

You could send two sub-mixes to the TC and only delay one of the inputs.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

That's a fine idea - It's just a lot more to keep track of that way. In a perfect world, you could delay the video in the DDR like you do for the inputs, then i could just send my main mix and everything would be matched up.

Alternately, I figured out how to just at the 120ms delay to every input on the board EXCEPT the incoming TC-1 audio-- then just not delay the board coming in at all on the TC-1 and now i have both video and people in sync -- but since i'm in the same room with the talent it's super trippy hearing everything delayed --- plus everything is going through the FX bus that way, making my faders pointless.

I'll experiment with the dual mix idea. That would allow me to hear non-delayed sound of the people I'm in the room with AND not have to alter incoming videos. The levels from the DDR media will be fairly consistent so there won't be anything to mix there really.