Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Plants....

Speaking of Plants....

I am in the process of moving away from e-on products, VUE Infinite & Plant Factory.

I have decided on Terragen for the Vue replacement, also seriously considering to add Gaea.

But for PF alternative I'm perplexed. XFrog & Speedtree are rather pricey, not to mention Speedtree's dubious licensing and commercial policy. In the process of searching the interwebs I've come across othe tree creation software:

The Grove 3D looks good but very Blender orientated. The dev does mention excellent output for LW and other software packages, tho. It seems the newest ver7 is Blender only. Would have to use ver6 for other platform export?

Flora3D looks like it has potential but seems to be last updated in 2016.

OnyxTree looks..okay? The website makes my retinas bleed with its webpage design circa 1998.

Anyone use any of these and can offer comment? Are there others, free or pay for, that I should be looking at?
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Hi, was also looking for some tree generation tools and decided to buy the grove, the price is unbeatable, now there are also 20%off, you canīt to something wrong if you buy it now
    It is an amazing software, i did not test ver7 now, but i still thing you can export it to lightwave.
    Also the developer ist constantly making updates and the software better, and he is very friendly and responding when i had problems with exporting.

I will ask about export to LW in ver7 and give you feedback.
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

I wish Denis would revisit Verdure for LW. Also for trees dont forget Pawel Olas Tree Designer
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

this is his response, so this should work somehow

...Good question. To answer it I just added this paragraph to the page https://www.thegrove3d.com/learn/pla...ers/#lightwave
    "In release 6 and 7, trees are built as a single mesh instead of 3 separate objects. To get the 3 object back, select your object and search for Separate, then choose By Material. You now have the same 3 objects to work with. I have not had the chance to test with Lightwave recently, so there may very well be a better way to export, and probably you can more easily export the one-object tree and split it up in Lightwave instead. Let me know if you find a better way and I’ll update this page."...
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Signal to Noise View Post
    I am in the process of moving away from e-on products, VUE Infinite & Plant Factory.

I have decided on Terragen for the Vue replacement, also seriously considering to add Gaea.

But for PF alternative I'm perplexed. XFrog & Speedtree are rather pricey, not to mention Speedtree's dubious licensing and commercial policy. In the process of searching the interwebs I've come across othe tree creation software:

The Grove 3D looks good but very Blender orientated. The dev does mention excellent output for LW and other software packages, tho. It seems the newest ver7 is Blender only. Would have to use ver6 for other platform export?

Flora3D looks like it has potential but seems to be last updated in 2016.

OnyxTree looks..okay? The website makes my retinas bleed with its webpage design circa 1998.

Anyone use any of these and can offer comment? Are there others, free or pay for, that I should be looking at?
    If you had Plant Factory before, you can still use your existing license. Not much has changed in the new (subscription only) version, mostly PBR support.

Speedtree offers amazing quality but is very costly.

There are no good vegetation plugins for LW unfortunately. I use Forester and XFrog as plugins and they're great but not available for LW (well not surprising).

Modular tree for Blender is a free addon, maybe could be something to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a08f6eaf402914197b1bae0982a8d966e1027e80.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	143566

Check this out... the price is very reasonable and it is a Lightwave native plugin. http://www.treesdesigner.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alexs3d View Post
    Hi, was also looking for some tree generation tools and decided to buy the grove, the price is unbeatable, now there are also 20%off, you canīt to something wrong if you buy it now
    It is an amazing software, i did not test ver7 now, but i still thing you can export it to lightwave.
    Also the developer ist constantly making updates and the software better, and he is very friendly and responding when i had problems with exporting.

I will ask about export to LW in ver7 and give you feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by alexs3d View Post
    this is his response, so this should work somehow

...Good question. To answer it I just added this paragraph to the page https://www.thegrove3d.com/learn/pla...ers/#lightwave
    "In release 6 and 7, trees are built as a single mesh instead of 3 separate objects. To get the 3 object back, select your object and search for Separate, then choose By Material. You now have the same 3 objects to work with. I have not had the chance to test with Lightwave recently, so there may very well be a better way to export, and probably you can more easily export the one-object tree and split it up in Lightwave instead. Let me know if you find a better way and I’ll update this page."...

Good info! Thanks for this. I may go with Grove as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    I wish Denis would revisit Verdure for LW. Also for trees dont forget Pawel Olas Tree Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Check this out... the price is very reasonable and it is a Lightwave native plugin. http://www.treesdesigner.com/

This is awesome, too. I hadn't come across TreesDesigner (don't forget that 's'!) in my googling, even for LW-specific plugins. Good to see it's been updated for LW2018 so I'm going to contact Pawel about a temp license to try it out. I did see Verdure in my searching and realized it was pretty much abandoned. Agree it's too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    If you had Plant Factory before, you can still use your existing license. Not much has changed in the new (subscription only) version, mostly PBR support.

Yes, I'll continue to use PF, I have 2016 ver. and am not bothering with maintenance...or actually can't even do that any more since e-on has gone subscription now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Modular tree for Blender is a free addon, maybe could be something to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a08f6eaf402914197b1bae0982a8d966e1027e80.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	143566

I did come across Modular Tree and some other ones in my search. I've just never could get into Blender.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone! Time to do some experimenting....

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Ah interesting, it wasn't around for some time or updated but good to see that it was made ready for 2018.

If one doesn't want to create trees from scratch there are also some paid and free resources available, for example some Mantisse trees or cgaxis has a great library, often on sale.

But yeah it's nicer to create a tree from scratch that looks exactly has imagined.

Tree it is a fun one.

This is awesome, too. I hadn't come across TreesDesigner (don't forget that 's'!) in my googling, even for LW-specific plugins. Good to see it's been updated for LW2018 so I'm going to contact Pawel about a temp license to try it out. I did see Verdure in my searching and realized it was pretty much abandoned. Agree it's too bad.
    You can download a demo, full version is $95.

Well I would test the demo beforehand. I installed it and I don't like it, it's not intuitive, destructive and a typical Modeler plugin. You need to put some background geometry and based on that it will create something like a tree.

If you already have Plant Factory, I don't think its an improvement. But that's just my own perception.

This is awesome, too. I hadn't come across TreesDesigner (don't forget that 's'!) in my googling, even for LW-specific plugins. Good to see it's been updated for LW2018 so I'm going to contact Pawel about a temp license to try it out.
    I downloaded two of the FBX example trees. and the trunks and branches are extremely boxy, and not round. The sub-divided result was quite lacklustre and unrealistic, but perhaps those are just poor examples? Not sure.

Good info! Thanks for this. I may go with Grove as a result.

I did come across Modular Tree and some other ones in my search. I've just never could get into Blender.
    The previous versions of The Grove are also Blender based, but pre-2.8. Just saying...
    Version 7 works in Blender 2.8, which is very easy to get into compared to the previous version. So if you had an issue with the GUI of 2.79, 2.8 is quite intuitive and similar to other 3d apps.

Xfrog 3 standalone (Windows) is reduced in price to 99 euros. Pretty ancient, but might be an option. Doesn't rely on any 3d platform, but I have to say it's not the most intuitive of products to use (I have a license, and never use it anymore). That said, it can do much more than just trees.
    http://xfrog.com/product/XA-08.html
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I downloaded two of the FBX example trees. and the trunks and branches are extremely boxy, and not round. The sub-divided result was quite lacklustre and unrealistic, but perhaps those are just poor examples? Not sure.
    Xfrog 3 standalone (Windows) is reduced in price to 99 euros. Pretty ancient, but might be an option. Doesn't rely on any 3d platform, but I have to say it's not the most intuitive of products to use (I have a license, and never use it anymore). That said, it can do much more than just trees.
    http://xfrog.com/product/XA-08.html
    Yes I agree. TreeDesigner looks very outdated and not intuitive. I think the developer just made it run in 2018 but the results don't look pleasing in my opinion.

I also agree about XFrog Standalone. However as a plugin it's nice to create some kind of special effects, growing stuff etc. But not realistic trees, there are far better tools now.

I have both XFrog standalone and TreesDesigner. Both have issues, but once you get used to them generating useful geometry isn't difficult.

XFrog is especially nice because you can create any kind of foliage, not just trees. This includes bushes, plants, grass, etc.

Also, I've been using ZBrush lately to create trees and there is a plugin just for it if you're interested (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...2-ZTree-Plugin
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    Tree it is a fun one.
    Looks okay. Since it's free it's worth a try for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes I agree. TreeDesigner looks very outdated and not intuitive. I think the developer just made it run in 2018 but the results don't look pleasing in my opinion.

I also agree about XFrog Standalone. However as a plugin it's nice to create some kind of special effects, growing stuff etc. But not realistic trees, there are far better tools now.
    Interesting on the TreesDesigner. For XFrog there is a LW-specific plugin? I don't remember seeing it but will delve into it further.
    These "far better tools" is what I'm looking for. Any additional examples in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post

Also, I've been using ZBrush lately to create trees and there is a plugin just for it if you're interested (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...2-ZTree-Plugin
    That's good to know as well. I bought ZBrush when it when on sale many months ago. Just haven't spent the time to learn it fully yet. Maybe now is that time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast