Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Delete key problem

  1. #1

    Delete key problem

    Me again. Hello, folks. Another beginner question: To "delete" an object, for whatever reason, is not feasible for me using the keyboard "delete" (backspace) key. Is there any quicker alternative to using Edit/delete, like a keyboard shortcut? Thanks for your time.
    BC

  2. #2
    Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    5,669
    ctrl x, c, v... cut copy paste, like most all other apps.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

  3. #3
    Thanks for the quick reply. That helps.
    BC

  4. #4
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Birck Cox View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. That helps.
    Do you know how to re-assign shortcuts? you can configure the delete motion key to whatever key fits you best.

  5. #5
    That sounds like a good place to start customizing things. Assigning the Delete key to actually do its job. At the moment, it won't. Thanks.
    BC

  6. #6
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Birck Cox View Post
    That sounds like a good place to start customizing things. Assigning the Delete key to actually do its job. At the moment, it won't. Thanks.
    Yep..I wrote how to assign keys in another post you had..check that.
    To be aware of though if you are new to lightwave, if you change shortcuts...You may have issues follow along certain tutorials.
    You can also save out the default configured keys before you do anything.

    And if you accidently have messed it all up, you delete the cfg files for menus, and Lightwave will swap back to default configurations once rebooted and shut down again.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yep..I wrote how to assign keys in another post you had..check that.
    To be aware of though if you are new to lightwave, if you change shortcuts...You may have issues follow along certain tutorials.
    You can also save out the default configured keys before you do anything.

    And if you accidently have messed it all up, you delete the cfg files for menus, and Lightwave will swap back to default configurations once rebooted and shut down again.
    Yep, I remember that previous post. Thanks for the tips.
    BC

  8. #8
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Birck Cox View Post
    Me again. Hello, folks. Another beginner question: To "delete" an object, for whatever reason, is not feasible for me using the keyboard "delete" (backspace) key. Is there any quicker alternative to using Edit/delete, like a keyboard shortcut? Thanks for your time.
    Are you talking about deleting object/item in Layout or points/edges/polygons in Modeler?

    In Modeler:
    Backspace is one key, delete is second key. Delete button deletes selected elements. After deleting selected elements, nothing is selected, so second press of delete button will delete everything what remained.
    So - try double delete (not backspace).

    However, beware, it won't work in edge mode! Delete key in edge mode, will work only with manually selected edges (at least that is in LW 2015.3).

    BTW, you can configure what keys on keyboard are doing using Edit > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts..

    In Layout:
    to delete object/item, you should press '-' (minus) key, and then confirm deletion.
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2019
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

  9. #9

    Thanks for the help, guys

    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Are you talking about deleting object/item in Layout or points/edges/polygons in Modeler?

    In Modeler:
    Backspace is one key, delete is second key. Delete button deletes selected elements. After deleting selected elements, nothing is selected, so second press of delete button will delete everything what remained.
    So - try double delete (not backspace).

    However, beware, it won't work in edge mode! Delete key in edge mode, will work only with manually selected edges (at least that is in LW 2015.3).

    BTW, you can configure what keys on keyboard are doing using Edit > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts..

    In Layout:
    to delete object/item, you should press '-' (minus) key, and then confirm deletion.
    Thanks. I'm going through all the replies on Delete, Deselect, and Shortcuts and finding out how and where they work.
    Another question, this time just to get some opinions- I notice that the LW Display Options/Interface panel includes a radio button choice for either Mouse or Tablet as an input device. Has anybody here tried working with a tablet? At my exalted level of experience, it's difficult to imagine how a tablet stylus could do the work of a 3-button mouse, AND leave fingers left over for keyboard shortcuts. Has anybody tried it?
    BC

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •