Thread: Fiber FX LW 2018 - Where to start?

Fiber FX LW 2018 - Where to start?

Hi All,
    Iíve got some models with ZBrush Fibermesh hair Iíd like to bring into Lightwave and apply Fiber FX to, initially just for rendering but later dynamics. Iím also really looking forward to testing the new renderer on character head models.

Iíve checked the manual but unless Iíve missed something, I canít find a clearly defined workflow. Iíd be really grateful for tutorials or up to date advice, using ZBrush splines as hair guides. FiberFX has gone through so many changes itís a little confusing.

PS My Artstation link has work done in Maya XGen and Arnold for work but I really want to spend more time in my original app Lightwave.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Hi,

Export the hair from ZBrush as an OBJ and then bring it Modeler. Got to Edge Mode and copy its edges by hitting the "w" for the Statistics window and select only the 1 point polygons and copy it. Don't paste yet. Go to Polygon mode and delete all polygons, then paste the edges back. Save as a LWO. See if this works. I've used this to get Blender hair into Lightwave, but only tried it once with ZBrush hair.

Good Luck,

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Hi,

Export the hair from ZBrush as an OBJ and then bring it Modeler. Got to Edge Mode and copy its edges by hitting the "w" for the Statistics window and select only the 1 point polygons and copy it. Don't paste yet. Go to Polygon mode and delete all polygons, then paste the edges back. Save as a LWO. See if this works. I've used this to get Blender hair into Lightwave, but only tried it once with ZBrush hair.

Good Luck,
    Thanks Oldcode, sounds doable I’ll have a go with that.

In ZB there is the option to export as LW curves... would this work?
    How best to parent the two point polys to the scalp?
    Cheers
    Last edited by bobakabob; 12-10-2018 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    Thanks Oldcode, sounds doable Iíll have a go with that.

In ZB there is the option to export as LW curves... would this work?
    How best to parent the two point polys to the scalp?
    Cheers
    I havenīt gone through the zbrush to lightwave process, I think Lino and maybe someone else has it covered when it concerns fibermesh to lightwave, If that still works in 2018
    O yeah...

If you are using bullet, you really do not need to parent it..well perhaps you do when I think about it, if you have strands that is inside of another mesh that also is a bullet dynamics object, like static...the strands will be hooked inside that mesh, then again...you may not want to make a character a certain kind of bullet type, so making a dummy object cage of lower res and parent that cage to the main character I think should work, and then make sure the strands are inside of that cage.

You can also parent to a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I havenīt gone through the zbrush to lightwave process, I think Lino and maybe someone else has it covered when it concerns fibermesh to lightwave, If that still works in 2018
    O yeah...

If you are using bullet, you really do not need to parent it..well perhaps you do when I think about it, if you have strands that is inside of another mesh that also is a bullet dynamics object, like static...the strands will be hooked inside that mesh, then again...you may not want to make a character a certain kind of bullet type, so making a dummy object cage of lower res and parent that cage to the main character I think should work, and then make sure the strands are inside of that cage.

You can also parent to a bone.
    Perfect, thanks for the link and suggestions Prometheus!