Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Can sasquatch do moana's hair ?

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Augusta, GA(usa)
    Posts
    544

    Can sasquatch do moana's hair ?

    Can sasquatch and lw 9.6 be used to make the hair for Moana and her demigod friend ?
    From Disney's Moana ?
    How about the new fiber fx in new lightwave ?
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

  2. #2
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,336
    Since long hair is based off of guide chains...

    I suspect it can be done, but you're going to be spending an awful lot of time modeling enough guide chains to make it work well, in FFX or Sasquatch.

    To make things go a bit faster, you could script a tool to make the final guide chains from a set of splines in modeler... Think of a helix that follows a spline. The problem being is that, as far as I know, there is no evaluator for a spline exposed in the SDK. So, you have to code your own. Centripedal Catmull Rom comes the closest.

    And, if you're really masochistic, you could apply dynamics to said chains...

    But, to answer the question, Yes, it could be done, but it's going to be a lot of work on your part.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Augusta, GA(usa)
    Posts
    544
    I am retired and have a lot of free time on my hands every day.
    I love working in lightwave almost everyday for hobby.
    I appreciate your answer to my question. It seems to me like a worthy challenge to try and make moana's hair in sasquatch.
    As long as is possible, I will try my hand at doing the long hair. I have the 'taming sasquatch' dvd and I can study it and go from
    there to try the moana's hair. I have an idea !!! Why not to try the hair in sasquatch, then post online here to show my work ?
    I would love to work on this project.
    Thank you !!!
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    269
    To make your guides quickly, you might want to try the technique from the first part of this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vgX8-PlFxc

  5. #5
    Registered User Oldcode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    351
    I personally find the tools for hair making in Lightwave to be sorely lacking. When I want to do strand hair, I import my character into Blender in the T-Pose and then create that hair with Blender's tools which are much MUCH better.

    You then can export the hair object from Blender, bring it into Modeler, and make it usable in Lightwave. This tutorial is how I learned how to do it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3wq6d26yI&t=642s

    Good Luck!

  6. #6
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Since long hair is based off of guide chains...

    I suspect it can be done, but you're going to be spending an awful lot of time modeling enough guide chains to make it work well, in FFX or Sasquatch.

    To make things go a bit faster, you could script a tool to make the final guide chains from a set of splines in modeler... Think of a helix that follows a spline. The problem being is that, as far as I know, there is no evaluator for a spline exposed in the SDK. So, you have to code your own. Centripedal Catmull Rom comes the closest.

    And, if you're really masochistic, you could apply dynamics to said chains...

    But, to answer the question, Yes, it could be done, but it's going to be a lot of work on your part.


    Are you talking about making simpler curves or polychains in to spiral locks? wouldnīt it be worth to try the braiding and styling options for a guide in layout?
    Ideas otherwise would possibly use skelegons and pose a couple of spiral strands and pose the strands as needed, save as transformed objects perhaps and then run fiberfx on it.

  7. #7
    pass:sword OFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    921
    No one tool itself can't create anything. But the artist can create what he is capable of at the moment. As for the visualization of hair on the level of Moana in my subjective opinion the Sasquatch is more suitable for this purpose than FFx. But this does not mean that it is impossible to do this with the FFx.

  8. #8
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,131
    Disney developed a tool called quicksilver, for handling the hair, I do not know if that was for creation of hair, dynamics or rendering.








    What I do perceive when trying to render fiberfx in 2018, it is that itīs extremely slow to render, even without GI, where you to render with fiberfx in 2015 ..I think it would be faster..but lacking the realism and true depth of primitive hair strands, I cant see myself wrestling with that kind of rendertimes, when GPU rendering in other software can be so much faster, that said..I do not know wether or not Octane would be a life saver for the rendering times..probably?

    some other stuff "Tonic" for creating hair strands..
    https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaw...irPipeline.pdf

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,254
    If you truly wish to gain the skills needed to produce something of that quality, that's a fine goal, but it's a long-term goal. You'll first need to acquire all the associated foundational skills and techniques, gain experience with using them, and become versant with the capabilities and limits of the tools you're using, all as part of the process of reaching that goal. In order to produce something at that pro level, you'll need to develop and hone pro-level skills and techniques, and that's not something that happens in a week, or a month, or even a year.

    You're setting yourself a seriously challenging long-term goal, but still an attainable goal. You'll need to prepare and motivate yourself for a lengthy effort full of accomplishments, set-backs, and above all, hard work. It's often useful to set yourself a progression of intermediate goals you'll need to surpass, as steps towards achieving that long-term goal. Reaching those intermediate goals can provide the encouragement needed to keep you motivated towards the long-term goal.

    Most important: Just keep at it!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  11. #11
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,131
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    If you truly wish to gain the skills needed to produce something of that quality, that's a fine goal, but it's a long-term goal. You'll first need to acquire all the associated foundational skills and techniques, gain experience with using them, and become versant with the capabilities and limits of the tools you're using, all as part of the process of reaching that goal. In order to produce something at that pro level, you'll need to develop and hone pro-level skills and techniques, and that's not something that happens in a week, or a month, or even a year.

    You're setting yourself a seriously challenging long-term goal, but still an attainable goal. You'll need to prepare and motivate yourself for a lengthy effort full of accomplishments, set-backs, and above all, hard work. It's often useful to set yourself a progression of intermediate goals you'll need to surpass, as steps towards achieving that long-term goal. Reaching those intermediate goals can provide the encouragement needed to keep you motivated towards the long-term goal.

    Most important: Just keep at it!
    A question rises, is it realistic to think, that One person will be able to come close to the dynamic behavior that is shown in Disneys moana?
    With the new fiberfx as primitives and the new PBR materials, I donīt think it would be impossible to reach that kind of styling (if you learn all the tweaking tools for guides and fiberfx) and Not impossible to reach near that render quality...for STILLS, but performing such dynamics..that is probably the most difficult task, and producing high enough quality at decent render times.

    To keep in mind, getting to that level of animation and rendering, it is taking many people a lot of time, and a lot of money to do science and code their own special software, Especially designed to handle the difficulties at hand.

  12. #12
    Registered User Oldcode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    351
    Oh, what I'd give to get a hold of that Disney software! Or the software Pixar uses, which is also home grown.

    I've been working on trying to do decent, not professional, but decent hair for almost 3 years, and I've had mixed results. In the clip below, is the best results I've gotten so far, and its for geometry base hair, not strand based. I'm still experimenting but so far, with strand based hair, my biggest problem is the hair just acts crazy, with individual guide hairs shooting all over the place for no apparent reason with both Bullet and ClothFx. When it works, especially with Bullet, it works pretty well. One of the hardest lessons I've learned is that for each shot, you have adjust the settings according to the behavior you need. If the character is just walking, that's one set of settings, but if they are running, or doing some type of fast twisting motion, that's something very different. For my current project, I'm going with geometry based hair because 1, I have pretty much figured it out, and 2, DAZ has a whole collection of geometry based hair figures for its characters that already have a nice style to them which is enhanced with dynamic motion.

    In the clip below, I used a hair model from DAZ, parented to the character's head and is colliding with proxy objects for the head, chest, and shoulders. You can probably see the spacing on the shoulders is a little off, but is much better results that my last approach. I hope this helps.

    KATS 04.swf
    Last edited by Oldcode; 12-09-2018 at 03:44 PM.

  13. #13
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Oh, what I'd give to get a hold of that Disney software! Or the software Pixar uses, which is also home grown.

    I've been working on trying to do decent, not professional, but decent hair for almost 3 years, and I've had mixed results. In the clip below, is the best results I've gotten so far, and its for geometry base hair, not strand based. I'm still experimenting but so far, with strand based hair, my biggest problem is the hair just acts crazy, with individual guide hairs shooting all over the place for no apparent reason with both Bullet and ClothFx. When it works, especially with Bullet, it works pretty well. One of the hardest lessons I've learned is that for each shot, you have adjust the settings according to the behavior you need. If the character is just walking, that's one set of settings, but if they are running, or doing some type of fast twisting motion, that's something very different. For my current project, I'm going with geometry based hair because 1, I have pretty much figured it out, and 2, DAZ has a whole collection of geometry based hair figures for its characters that already have a nice style to them which is enhanced with dynamic motion.

    In the clip below, I used a hair model from DAZ, parented to the character's head and is colliding with proxy objects for the head, chest, and shoulders. You can probably see the spacing on the shoulders is a little off, but is much better results that my last approach. I hope this helps.

    KATS 04.swf

    My suggestion would be to get a youtube account and uploaded your clips there, if you do not want it publicly? then just make it unlisted and post the link here, or get a vimeo channel, the channels are all free...better to upload to the Mov format than a swf forma..that has the means of bringing bad quality to it.

    The dynamics on the hair and body is pretty decent, it doesnīt seem to react with water though, needs some texturing for semi decent polyhair.
    For semi realism, I would use lw 2015 and fiberfx volumetrics..which I believe is way faster than the primitive strands we Only have with 2018.

    I do not see why the hair would go crazy? if you just set your polychains and bullet fx correctly, the strands should follow that, unless you use to much of clusters and styling ..which by itself doesnīt collide properly against any mesh..or should I say, it will go inside any mesh if you do not have enough collision margin.

    I just have too little patience to endure the rendertimes with fiberfx ala 2018, and running only discovery means I can not do too much work to finish anything, it wouldnīt be of use for me...for this current time itīs only worth to try the features and learning until they possibly improve it, or until I definitely choose something else for hair.

    Thread here..
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...74#post1559974


  14. #14
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,254
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    A question rises, is it realistic to think, that One person will be able to come close to the dynamic behavior that is shown in Disneys moana?
    Probably not, if we're discussing reasonable time investments, etc.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •