Thread: LW 2018 - LW_MetaPlug doesn't work anymore.

LW 2018 - LW_MetaPlug doesn't work anymore.

Not sure where to post it, so i'd leave it here.
    MD_Metaplug doesn't work with LW2018. This is quite serious bug. Just for example we have a big library of animated people driven by MDD files (via Cage mesh). So it can't be used with 2018....
    There is sample scene attached for anyone who would like to test.
    Scene contains two objects:
    1. Man driven by MD_Reader - which works fine
    2. Man driven by MD_MetaPlug with cage object - which doesn't work. (but works fine in 2015)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you tried the nodal version of Metalink? It generally (but not exactly) does the same thing but in LightWave's nodal interface. In some ways it's more flexible because you don't need to scan the cage using an FX tool, and it works with any deformation on the cage: MD Multi-Baker mdds, GeoCache, morphing, etc.

Sorry, I don't have 2018 here at work to check but I think it might work in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Have you tried the nodal version of Metalink?
    Yes nodal version of Metalink works, but setup is quite messy. It is fine for couple units but with crowd it turns into nightmare.
    With Metalink motion is applied to the Cage object and with MD_Metaform mdd file is applied directly to transformed object. It means that if you want to adjust speed, offset and so on - you have to clone cage object for each "metaformed" one - while with MD_meataform you have just ONE cage object and all parameters are linked to metaformed obj - which is a way more convenient.

Ugh, yeah, I see what you mean.

I haven't downloaded your file yet but might take a look tonight and let you know if I have any ideas. I have a couple of ideas for a shared MDD speed control but if there's a lot of individual characters, setup is probably going to be a pain.

I know I should look your file first but have you considered instancing? In the past, I've had good luck using multiple source items with different looping mdd data and offsets. This is not a perfect setup but it could mean fewer MDD items to edit.