Thread: Blackmagic, Tricaster 860 SE

Blackmagic, Tricaster 860 SE

Hi all! I need a question answered about Tricaster SE(not AE) and the Blackmagic Video routers and switchers. Will the Tricaster 860 running Standard Edition see the Blackmagic Devices? I looked in the Config Folder and found the Router Text File so I assume it will see them??
    Second, does anyone have any solid and tested suggestions on how to convert the output from a Tricaster session of 720 or 1080 to 4k? are in the prcess of getting a huge LED Video wall for our venue and really want to have 4k going to it without having to buy a TC1 or Video Mix Engine. Our 860 does everything so far we need it to do.
    Considering the Blackmagic ATEM 4k IF the Tricaster 860 on SE will see it on an input?

Thanks in advance!!
    Live Concert Venue IMAG Director
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras
    Using NDI for media playback

I'm not sure there's any point in adding some device or other to scale the 1080i output from your TC up to 4K, given that the monitor will probably do pretty much the same thing on its own ... ?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If I were outputting to a Television yes most likely but it will actually be going through a 4k LED Processer that does not convert or scale. Needs 4k input hence why I need to upscale/convert the TC output. FYi, I'm no newbie.
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras

Gotcha, thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

You're welcome Steve but still looking for answers. Aready contacted support and no response there from anyone.
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras

Support can take a little time, but this week is complicated by the fact that many of those with the most field experience (and hence knowledge of third-party products) are in meetings just now as this is the week when the international staff gather here for seminars and an annual corporate family gathering. I'd just give it a little time ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

you should be able to output 720p or 1080i from the TC860 and input into the ATEM 4K via SDI, ATEM tech specs says it accepts HD signals. I'm not familiar enough with their products to know if that will then allow you to scale up to output a 2160p signal.

Although they specifically highlight

Down Converted SDI Program Output
    1 x 10-bit (From Ultra HD 4K to HD).

So taking the 4K signal via SDI to the TC860 SDI input does seem possible.

Is your 4K LED processor HDMI, 4x3G SDI, 12G?

-Steve
    Sr. Director, Marketing Services
    NewTek
    San Antonio, TX

If the processor accepts 4x3G SDI, you could look at something like an AJA FS3 to do the up conversion. That's the only thing off the top of my head that I know would up convert for that. But it is kind of spendy.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...onversion.html

I could be wrong, but with ATEMs that I've worked with, the inputs must match the format the switcher is set to. Otherwise they don't show up as inputs to the switcher. If you set the switcher to 4K, I don't think it would accept the HD TriCaster output as a usable source. They aren't as flexible as a TriCaster with mixed formats. I haven't tried anything on a 4K model yet though, so maybe that has changed. I would check with BMD. I've seen downconverters from Blackmagic, but their Up/Down/Cross converter does not seem to do a 4K up convert yet.

Kris
    TriCaster: 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    CG: LiveText2 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5 (SDI & ATEM with Tactical Fiber)
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I seriously doubt the video board is truly 4K. I own LED boards and install them too. To reach a 4K resolution would mean an absolutely massive board at a very small pixel spacing density.
    Besides that all the video board processors we use can all resampled and scale any input to fit the intended output.

Get some real specs about the video board and processor and I can help better.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thanks guys! Ok so we have recently purchase a 32x18ft LED wall. I need to get out of the tricaster, and into the processor for the walls. The processor is a Novastar MCTRL4K. Accepts HDMI Dual Link DVI and Display Port. So TC out 720 or 1080 (lower latency over 720) into the 4k outputting 4k over ethercon to wall.
    Its a massive wall. We're talking 8,110,000 pixels. 3840x2112. Doesn't look like the Processor has Quad or Dual HDSDI.
    http://www.novastar-led.com/product_...&cid=40&pid=23
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras

The manual for that processor mentions all kinds of options for input settings and resolutions. If it were me, and I already had this processor, I'd just plug in an HDMI input from the HDMI out of your TriCaster and see what happens before I went shopping for an upconverter. It looks to me like it would accept an HDMI 2.0 compliant source and still span it across your LED video wall.

This YouTube unboxing video shows that: https://youtu.be/KxCMCzF6ojM?t=139

From the processor manual:

6.2.2 Input Resolution Settings
    The input resolution can be set to a preset resolution or can be customized.
    The input resolution can be set through either of the following ways.
    Method 1: Preset
    Select a proper resolution from the preset standard resolutions.
    Method 2: Custom
    Rotate the knob to set a custom width (increasing by even numbers), custom height and custom refresh rate. Then select Apply and press the knob to apply the settings.
    Note: The supported custom resolution is up to 4092×[email protected]
    It may not scale you up to 4K on the LED wall, but your source isn't 4K anyway from the TriCaster. I'm not sure upconverting it in front of the processor would really gain you anything as far as picture quality. However, I did find a relatively inexpensive Monoprice scaler/switch that looks like it would do what you were looking for and let you run your wall at native 4K. It might add some latency.

Here are a couple options that might do the trick and let you run native 4K:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=30459

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31057

Kris

Kris thanks for the information I appreciate it. However, the links to monoprice don't work. Could you possibly give me more information on the 2 links you provided?

On the Novastar 4k, I want to think that it will but it's one of those things where I need to be prepared that it won't scale to 2112 from 2160. All eyes wil be on this set up when powered on so there has to be a quick fix if it doesn't look the way it needs to. I'll have one more look at the manual. Thanks again everyone. Any suggestions help!!
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by pchvideo View Post
    Kris thanks for the information I appreciate it. However, the links to monoprice don't work. Could you possibly give me more information on the 2 links you provided?

On the Novastar 4k, I want to think that it will but it's one of those things where I need to be prepared that it won't scale to 2112 from 2160. All eyes wil be on this set up when powered on so there has to be a quick fix if it doesn't look the way it needs to. I'll have one more look at the manual. Thanks again everyone. Any suggestions help!!
    That Novastar will scale. That is its main purpose in life.
    It will take some fiddling in the input configuration but the power is all there.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Jef in a perfect world LOL! We just don't live in one. That being said I have to agree....that is its main purpose in life so I hope that statement is true. I just wish I had not been told that it has no scaling capabilities. We already have the NovaproHD All In One. It's a monster of a machine that specifically lists its scaling capability. When I get my hands on the 4k I will make sure to let every one know my findings! Thanks again everyone for the help.
    Tricaster 860 Standard
    2 Sony PTZ's
    2 Sony HD Cameras

The two Monoprice boxes were the "Monoprice Blackbird 4K Up and Down Scaler Converter" and the "Monoprice Blackbird Scaler 4x1 Switch" products.

Kris