Thread: Preview only shows Program Input

Preview only shows Program Input

So I had a weird glitch today, using a Tricaster Mini HD-4 the Preview screen always, & only, matches the Program monitor & source. So if I have Input 1 live & Input 2 in the Preview row, it shows Input 1 on both the Program & Preview screen. Oddly however the wording underneath the Preview monitor does show the correct input that 'should' be showing, but the video footage shows the incorrect (Program) video. This happens no matter what inputs are chosen on the Preview row.

One thing that 'may' have caused this, was at the end of the last shoot going to a Goodbye type of graphic I do recall taking an Auto/fade transition halfway, when I mistakenly clicked it again, which seems to pause it. Then I clicked it again to continue or redo it. In this process, I also might have chosen the Goodbye graphic again, putting it in both the Program & Preview bar, dissolving from it to it. I read via a Google search this caused a glitch on a physical switcher setup for someone, however mine is strictly thru the computer interface.

Anyway, I can't imagine I dove too deep into any settings, but is there any 'Preview follows Program' type setting? I tried right clicking the Preview monitor, but didn't see any possible setting for this. Also, I take it just creating a new Project would likely refresh this issue, my only problem with that is having to redo all the inputs, loading DDR vids & graphics, and sizing up some picture in picture & M/E settings, but doable with a nominal amount of work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pay attention to the Switcher Delegate - meaning is it set to BKGD, DSK1, or DSK2? Depending on software you are running, the delegate will be shown as a blue indicator box above BKGD, DSK1, or DSK2 or might be a blue box outline around it.

The PREVIEW window is a "look ahead" preview - meaning it shows what is going to happen next time you do a TAKE or AUTO.

If DSK1 is delegated, the background (main video) is NOT going to change, and therefore PREVIEW will show same image that is in PROGRAM. Only the DSK1 overlay would change in this case. So maybe that is what happened? Or like you said could be something to do with an incomplete transition. But really take a look at the delegate situation.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Pay attention to the Switcher Delegate - meaning is it set to BKGD, DSK1, or DSK2? Depending on software you are running, the delegate will be shown as a blue indicator box above BKGD, DSK1, or DSK2 or might be a blue box outline around it.
    Thanks Jeff, sounds worth checking into but can you clarify what you mean by this part above? ^^

I know the DSK's are to the right of my inputs bar, and below the monitors, but what do you mean by 'Switcher Delegate'? And it occurs whether or not DSK is taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasnow View Post
    Thanks Jeff, sounds worth checking into but can you clarify what you mean by this part above? ^^

I know the DSK's are to the right of my inputs bar, and below the monitors, but what do you mean by 'Switcher Delegate'? And it occurs whether or not DSK is taken.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	143493

Make sure only the Background source is selected. You can do that by clicking on it. Switcher Delegate is basically you telling it what you want to happen when you hit cut/auto

These answers are very likely correct.

The Preview monitor shows the outcome of the next main TAKE/AUTO operation. If the BKGD (Background - comprised of the composite output from the Program and Preview rows) is not delegated, a TAKE/AUTO operation would have no effect on Program output - thus the Preview monitor would properly show Program plus the result of a TALE/AUTO applied to whichever DSK(s) you have delegated.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks, I'm sorta getting lost on something, what do you all mean by BKGD (Background)? I'm talking about a simple dissolve from Camera 1 to Camera 2 (Input 1/Input 2). No DSK's or anything.

Sorry, but where in CTC2010's image would the BKGD be? The Preview bar only allows 1 input to be selected, and I'm not trying to add in DSK.

On TriCaster SE software, you get the nice BIG blue indicators above BKGD, DSK1, and DSK2 to tell you when they are selected (delegated). Nothing to do with whether they are currently taken or not, the blue indicators being ON means that when you do TAKE or AUTO on the main switcher (like SPACEBAR or RETURN), all items that are "lit up" are going to transition simultaneously at that time. For instance, you want to switch to another camera and have the lower third in DSK1 come in with it at same time, you select BKGD and DSK1 with mouse (hold CTRL to multi-select) and then when you TAKE or AUTO, you get both in one shot rather than having to switch one then the other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC SE Delegates.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	143494

In this image, all 3 are selected so you'd see the background and both DSKs transition together, and these changes will all show up in the PREVIEW window prior to the switch. If the indicator was OFF for BKGD but ON above both DSKs, then only the DSKs will transition. So in PREVIEW, the background would then MATCH PROGRAM, since nothing is going to change there. But you would see what changes that would occur with the overlays from DSKs coming on or off (depends on current state before the transition takes place).

I do TriCaster demos and training and to show how delegates behave, I like to load a default lower third into DSK1 (GFX1) and the big "Newtek" overlay logo into DSK2 (GFX2).

Put two different sources on PROG and PREV, and then one by one select different delegates - BKGD, then DSK1, then DSK2, then combinations of them - and watch the PREVIEW monitor to see what the results are. Good way to learn it.
    Jeff Pulera

Awesome, you guys rock!! I just clicked on the little thumbnail on the switcher row above the Take/Auto button and viola! Preview Monitor appeared to correctly show what it should.

Thanks much everybody. Again, worse case was rebuilding the project but would've been slightly time consuming although not the end of the world. Our projects tend to be repitetitive use of the same shots & M/E's and switching back & forth, so working without a Preview could've been doable for a few days. I probably accidentally hit it at the end of the day last time when ending the day.

Thanks again though!

Glad to assist. Seriously, take a few minutes and make friends now with the Delegates as that is a powerful feature to use. Do you have a CS or just use the mouse? Much easier on CS where you can just push multiple buttons at once and light them up together then switch.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Just to mention it, the Background layer (really, layers broadly speaking), as well as delegates, are discussed in some depth in the manual.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")