Thread: Lasso tool in LW2015?

Lasso tool in LW2015?

Hello, I am trying to follow a version 9 tutorial (hereafter "Toot") in Essential Lightwave 9, but I'm using LW2015. Where do I find the Lasso Tool for points in the newer version? Or what conditions need to apply for the cursor to become a lasso tool?
    BC

If I remember right, it’s the right mouse button for lasso select.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    It is but if your using a Logitech mouse anyway, you can't have any custom assignments to the buttons in order for LW to respect that function. Minor issue for most perhaps but I had to give up my long time use of the MMB asignment for double click.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Hmm, not sure what you mean there? I'm a longtime Logitech mouse user and have SetPoint and the new Options set up for shortcuts in Modeler and Layout. The back button on my MX Master deselects in Modeler (and Photoshop), and toggles between VPR and OGL in Layout. I have the button behind the scroll wheel set as MMB, which is much better than having to click on the clunky wheel. Forward is set for a changing roster of tools.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    You are right. That did it. Thank you very much, Ztreem. I realize now that I am slightly handicapped by long years of using Photoshop and Illustrator on a Mac, and with a Wacom tablet. No Middle Mouse Button, No Right or Left Mouse button. Just click or double-click. Lightwave is going to be much more complicated physically. I'm just glad I have a 3-button mouse on hand here. I never use it otherwise.
    BC

Those were simpler days...

B
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Hmm, not sure what you mean there? I'm a longtime Logitech mouse user and have SetPoint and the new Options set up for shortcuts in Modeler and Layout. The back button on my MX Master deselects in Modeler (and Photoshop), and toggles between VPR and OGL in Layout. I have the button behind the scroll wheel set as MMB, which is much better than having to click on the clunky wheel. Forward is set for a changing roster of tools.

B
    Wow. I've some custom keys set in the Advanced settings, but have never been able to get them all to work together. This is with the M570 on a Win7 system & wondering if that's a factor. First learned about the lasso watching a Rebel Hill vid & he used it w/o comment. Found mention of it in the docs but when I tried, nada. Reset the mouse buttons back to default & then it worked.

But the big question is where do you find the preview mode toggles in Menu config or is it somewhere else?

There are default keyboard shortcuts set - VPR is Ctrl F9 - so just assigning that shortcut to a button for an app-specific customisation is all that's needed. / is Deselect in Modeler (and Ctrl-d for Photoshop). I use others like Weld (Ctrl W), Weld Average (Ctrl-Shift-W), Make Spline Patch (Ctrl-F) and so on. Alt F9 is your friend to see whet keyboard shortcuts are set and what can be. There are loads of available slots and if you are assigning them to a mouse button you don't have to worry that they are really awkward to do with your hands - Ctrl-Alt-F10 might twist the fingers a bit, but assign it to a tool, assign it to a mouse button and you're away

B

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    There are default keyboard shortcuts set - VPR is Ctrl F9 - so just assigning that shortcut to a button for an app-specific customisation is all that's needed. / is Deselect in Modeler (and Ctrl-d for Photoshop). I use others like Weld (Ctrl W), Weld Average (Ctrl-Shift-W), Make Spline Patch (Ctrl-F) and so on. Alt F9 is your friend to see whet keyboard shortcuts are set and what can be. There are loads of available slots and if you are assigning them to a mouse button you don't have to worry that they are really awkward to do with your hands - Ctrl-Alt-F10 might twist the fingers a bit, but assign it to a tool, assign it to a mouse button and you're away

B
    Ah. There it is. Excellent.

The 2nd from the top row of tabs isn't show in the Menu Config nor any hotkeys so never knew how to access that. I also find it odd that I've never accidently hit those keys either & discovered them that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm keeping track of all of them, but at my ludicrously low level of expertise I will stick to the established shortcuts and hotkeys, since I don't even know what they are yet. My skills are limited to art apps on a Mac (mostly Adobe), NONE of which require a knowledge of LMB, MMB, or RMB. I've simply never used them before. I think that situation actually places me BELOW the usual Lightwave "Beginner" level. That's what I need to learn now.
    BC

Is Apple still shipping single button mice? Apple has never been known for its competence when it comes to mice.

While Adobe apps do not require a knowledge of LMB, MMB, or RMB, they offer advanced functionality to those that spend $10-20 to greatly improve their productivity with a normal multi-button mouse. Advanced productivity with a multi-button mouse is not just limited to 3D applications.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Is Apple still shipping single button mice?
    That hasn't been the case for quite some time. Magic mice/trackpads, etc. all support both LMB & RMB actions (depending on settings), among others.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Birck Cox View Post
    My skills are limited to art apps on a Mac (mostly Adobe), NONE of which require a knowledge of LMB, MMB, or RMB.
    Well, that's not quite accurate -- if you use GUIs at all, you're familiar with LMB actions ("Click", "Double-click", etc.). Adobe's been supporting RMB/CMD+Click context menus, etc. for their apps on macOS for quite some time as well. You might not have made use of them (much, anyway), but the Adobe apps definitely supported them.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I have for ages been longing for a middle mouse click and drag a box marquee selection in modeler, there is no action involved by default for the middle mouse button click in modeler today, however ..in Layout it is a way of selecting within a box marquee.
    It is in my opinion really missing, there are places you can not select by accuracy with lasso selection, where margins are tight, I think itīs kind of odd that it never has been implemented in modeler.

In blender this is shortcut "b" for box selection.

In Lightwave We do have volume, but that isnīt a per point or volume selection tool, it is a special selection mode only.

1. So first ..just get that darn box selection tool in there in modeler.
    2. if we also would be able to connect it to the middle mouse button, then that will be fine..and it will also have some workflow continuity to match Layou...and how you select things in there.

To me this seems like it wouldnīt be so difficult to code right? and not taking much time either to do, so whatīs the problem?..is the function not useful? have they forgotten it? to busy with other stuff?
    No one else really needing and wanting it except a few guys like me?

Have you sent it in as a feature request, Prometheus?

B