Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LWCAD 2018 trashing LWO files?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    That many present seems more likely due to some kind of bug creating them behind the scenes, versus user error.

It not impossible that it was from user error, but it's more difficult than folks realize for a user to accidentally generate a million of anything through "unintentional duplication" -- it requires at least twenty "doubling" actions to cross the "million entities" line (2^19 is only 524288). Further, the last 2-3 of the action would almost certainly be lengthy enough in duration that the user would notice the action's exponential drop in perf.

In any case, I'm sure Viktor will look into it. Glad you got it sorted out!
    The weird thing is I don't remember using or needing to use any kind of clone or duplication tool of any kind while working on that file so it most likely is some kind of bug or weird glitch causing it. At least I now know what to watch out for now in case it happens again.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    The weird thing is I don't remember using or needing to use any kind of clone or duplication tool of any kind while working on that file so it most likely is some kind of bug or weird glitch causing it. At least I now know what to watch out for now in case it happens again.
    That's kind of what I was getting at... just a single clone/duplication or even a few wouldn't get you near that number unless there were also something broken behind the scenes. The chances of you doing so many clone/duplication ops and not noticing their duration was growing exponentially is even less.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Just a guess. The million instances were created either somewhere along the line in the conversion or import from dxf, because these are automated processes, and it would be difficult to do that by accident by hand. The only question is at which point it happened / got corrupted. If it was at the moment of the LWCAD import, that would be something for Victor to look into, but if it was already in the file before import, than the previous apps in the chain would be the place to look.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Just a guess. The million instances were created either somewhere along the line in the conversion or import from dxf, because these are automated processes, and it would be difficult to do that by accident by hand. The only question is at which point it happened / got corrupted. If it was at the moment of the LWCAD import, that would be something for Victor to look into, but if it was already in the file before import, than the previous apps in the chain would be the place to look.
    It looks like the dxf file was fine. I export a dxf out of DraftSight and import that into Accutrans then export an lwo to load into Lightwave. It also appears the original lwo exported out of Accutrans is also fine. It appears the guide lines I created with LWCAD 2018 were likely the problem. I'm still not sure how it could have happened.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12