Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube wouldn't accept stream from my TC40 v2 tonight. Lost a webcast.

YouTube wouldn't accept stream from my TC40 v2 tonight. Lost a webcast.

I went to stream a live event tonight... hadn't streamed in about a month, but I don't think I completely lost my memory of how to do it! Used my trusty YouTube preset (which I've used for at least two years now) and loaded the settings file. All was good. Until it wasn't. Kept getting errors stating I was using an older/outdated browser (I forget the specific language - it may have blamed the encoder, too) but the "browser" was my TriCaster... I can't force it to use Chrome or anything else, so I was screwed. I recorded the event and will upload to my YT channel later, but this is bad for me... I have 13 more streams scheduled this year (I work at a school). Has anyone else encountered this lately?

The browser can't be changed on the TC40. You can use another laptop/computer browser to setup on YouTube site then enter this information into the TC40 streaming panel. The streaming encoder is separate from the browser.

I prefer this method because it also gives you the ability to monitor the stream on the system while operating on the TriCaster.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Makes sense... I actually preset the year's 25 streams on my desk Mac and saved all the setup files on my TriCaster, which I then import through the TC's Streaming control panel (browser). But YouTube wasn't having it last night... I have a few things to do today, after which I'll go back to testing before I have to stream another event Friday night.

Thanks for your input — that certainly fits with my impression of what I thought should work.

— Mike

So I launched the TriCaster again to accurately report on the errors and what I'm seeing. I had hoped to post photos of the screen but I don't see a way to do that here.

When I click the settings gear for Streaming, I get the usual browser-based screen for streaming, only there's an error in the YouTube web page which says "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available. Click here to visit our FAQ about HTML5 video." There's also a less-important error off to the right of that which says "Oh no! It looks like you're using an older version of your browser. Please update it to use live chat." Since I don't particularly care about live chat, I'm not worried about that, except for the part where I'm confronted at all by two warnings about an older browser. I can't change that — it's the TC interface. But if YouTube wants to be a snot about it and disallow me from streaming because it has decided I'm using an "older [and outdated] browser," what else can I do?

So I go to Live Streaming and click the "Go live" button. I get a panel telling me "to start streaming, start your encoder." But there's no button available to do that. Clicking "test connection" on my TriCaster gets me nowhere. Clicking the Stream button on the TriCaster gets me nowhere. Nothing on the YouTube page in TriCaster's streaming browser gets me anywhere.

This is frustrating and it's hobbling me from doing my job.

— Mike

By the way, I checked the settings in YouTube. It's set to be an FMLE-generated stream, which I believe is appropriate for TriCaster.

As Kane said, don't open the YouTube streaming dashboard interface in the TriCaster browser, open it on another computer and do the configuration there. A laptop sitting right next to TriCaster works swell. And I believe you can export an .xml file from YouTube with the account settings, then Import that .xml setup file into the streaming preset in TriCaster Streaming setup. Or manually enter that stream account info into TriCaster, either way.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

You can post photos which might help so we can see what your interface looks like. Just click the 'Go Advanced' button in the bottom right corner. Then, the 'Manage Attachments', in the window that opens you can add your photos and insert them into the post.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Mike, just ignore the browser area in the stream setup and create a new RTMP stream, import your settings file, and give that a shot. If it's a YouTube event, you'll have to click 'go live' on another computer.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

I always set up my streams on my Mac. In this case, I set up 25 of them back in August.

So here is the latest.

On Friday, I once again was unable to stream using the event I had created while I was scheduling all these events (these were to be live webcast of school athletic contests). This time, however, I brought a laptop with me and also tried initiating the stream on that — nothing. I even went into the event on the laptop and generated a new streaming setup file. I verified that the stream code I had already preloaded into my TriCaster should have still been valid for that event.

So, as a last resort, I used the laptop to create a new "stream now" event, and had YouTube give me a code for it. I entered the code by hand into the TriCaster and the stream worked. Upside: I streamed our game. Downside: The stream did not use the event which I had specifically set up and shared with the Athletic Director, school PR department, and team. But anyone subscribed to the channel or finding it any other way (including my quick Facebook post with the new URL) should have been able to watch it.

So this proves that the TC40v2 can still stream to YouTube. But it also begs the question, what's wrong with the stream codes I already set up? I will try to post the question over on the YouTube boards but I don't expect much of a valid answer to come back.

Today, I'll create a new private scheduled event and save it they way last week's events had been saved (as opposed to a "stream now" event, which I have already proven to work). I'll load that data into the TriCaster and see if it works.

Thank you to all who have responded thus far.

— Mike
    Last edited by michof; 12-10-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Take a look at what gets imported vs what you typed in by hand. An extra / at the end of the server url or before the stream ID can cause issues etc. Also make sure what you created and downloaded in August is still the same. Maybe YouTube updated your publish points since then?

Very good points. I went into YouTube on my laptop and re-exported the FMLE settings for the event from the Creator Studio... same exact code. I entered it by hand on the TriCaster and it still failed. The only way I was able to broadcast was to create a new event and hand-enter the stream code (I didn't have the time to export from the laptop, copy to a thumb drive or dump it into my G-drive, exit TriCaster, load the file onto the TC computer, and relaunch... hand-entering the code was faster). The stream worked then, but again this rendered useless the URL I had previously shared with the team and the Athletic Director.

So I guess it's just that something weird happened at YouTube's end of things, maybe the codes just aren't made to last that long on the shelf before they get used, I don't know. But I think from now on, I simply won't create broadcast events more than a week or so ahead of time. I need at least a full week so we have time to publicize the broadcast, but I'm reluctant to get ahead any further than that, so avoid this happening again. The ones that failed in December had been created in August or September. Its just annoying that YouTube, at least in Creator Studio, still recognized those codes and that hints to me that they *should* have worked.

— Mike

Have you tried just promoting your main YouTube page (should always display live video) or a standalone web page that you'll change embed codes on? Both would make for a static link for the end user (and a constant page).
    John Erbicella
    Experienced in TriCaster, OBS, and various streaming solutions
    Web: http://www.jperbicella.com
    Twitter: @JPErbicella
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jperbicella

It's quite a while since I played with this, but I remember that I had drilled down far enough to discover that Youtube did actually have a *permanent link or ID that I could distribute, in addition to the constantly changing one that they dished out. I've forgotten the details, but someone else might know about this.

*It was possible to manually regenerate the ID, but otherwise it was static.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by jperbicella View Post
    Have you tried just promoting your main YouTube page (should always display live video) or a standalone web page that you'll change embed codes on? Both would make for a static link for the end user (and a constant page).
    I like this idea, given how much I now view YouTube as unpredictable. Thanks, John!

And thanks to everyone else who gave their suggestions... everything said here was given very careful consideration. Thanks, all!

– Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast