Thread: Speed HQ does not work on new Macs - advice?

Speed HQ does not work on new Macs - advice?

I am trying to export some animations out of Motion with alpha for use in a show tomorrow. Installed the Speed HQ codec pack and see them in the ~quicktime folder. Dug through every option for MP4, Quicktime and MXF. No Speed HQ codecs are available.

Should I use PR 4444?

I've not tested Motion, the link below has other workflows to get video and alpha into the TriCaster. Hopefully one of these will work with Motion.

Importing media files into TriCaster.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

It's a long time since I used Motion, and I don't have a Mac on hand these days, but I thought that (like FCP) you could render directly from Motion using Compressor presets - and it was possible to create presets that used SpeedHQ. This said, if Motion lets you render to Quicktime's PNG format, I always had good success with that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Whenever outputting anything using Speed HQ, the warning pops up that I am using a legacy format that will not be supported in future releases of MacOS. What is the plan moving forward so us Mac users don't get left in the dust? I tried PR 4444 and the fonts worked, but they had a bit of jitter and the files were gargantuan..

Not sure why there would be jitter unless you are talking about interlace flicker.

Not sure what the future will be. Just as an FYI, the next major release of Mac OSX will be removing support for 32-bit applications. Since QuickTime is a 32-bit technology that means that ALL QuickTime codecs will no longer work. Also, the AVFoundation framework (the replacement for QuickTime) doesn't support 3rd party codecs. So you will have to use with what Apple provides, that will probably mean using ProRes 4444. It might seem to be a huge file size, but it it still way smaller than uncompressed.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Whenever outputting anything using Speed HQ, the warning pops up that I am using a legacy format that will not be supported in future releases of MacOS.
    And the problem is certainly not limited to SpeedHQ, or NewTek; It will affect many Quicktime formats. Apple, for reasons of their own, determined to abandon backwards compatibility with many of their own file formats, including some which were considered ubiquitous for years and which have been in common use by their customers and others for interchange. I'm sure that by now Mac users in the video realms are becoming well aware of the problems flowing from this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Not sure why there would be jitter unless you are talking about interlace flicker.
    Quite possibly, depending on other factors, this is just a result of the large file size. I've seen playback issues in the past with Quicktime files encoded as either Uncompressed or Animation, both of which are also quite big.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    FYI Adobe is adding the ability to write Pro Res using the various CC apps on Windows in their next release.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

You already could
    https://www.voukoder.org/

Newtek should talk to this guy.

The FFMPEG version of Pro Res is non-official and won't pass QC at most places.
    Zane Condren
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

FYI, that next release of Adobe apps is now available. Both Premiere and After Effects have ProRes export.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    The FFMPEG version of Pro Res is non-official and won't pass QC at most places.
    Yeah, it's a reverse-engineer job. That said, we've not had a single rejection with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Since QuickTime is a 32-bit technology that means that ALL QuickTime codecs will no longer work..
    No, they dropped support for 32 bit programs and codecs. Quicktime has been updated to 64 bit as of Snow Leopard (Quicktime X), and all 64 bit codecs still work fine. As of this year, Adobe announced the same thing...

We will move our graphics and animations over to PR4444. I've been testing this out on our gear and its working fine (knock on wood...) on import to the Tricaster. Mac users will probably have to all shift to PR4444 for clips created on a Mac - in any program.

You're right that we should rectify any outdated information on our site. This is a sorry situation though. If Microsoft ever did something like this - dropping support for almost all third party codecs - there would be riots in the streets.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator