Thread: Workspaces

Workspaces

I've totally come to appreciate workspaces in Blender 8.2

I wonder if that would be the direction to go with LW. LW tends to be more windows that open than a bunch of stuff in viewports.

Still, it's really helpful to just click on a "surfacing" tab, and have all your windows or viewports open where you left them when your were surfacing, before you went to move something around or play with a light.

So maybe it would be cool in LW to have workspaces, like layout, model, surface, lighting...

Seems better to learn Blender as you will have it.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Hello!

While I whish LW3DG would have time to make something like Workspaces a native thing... they are not a huge team, and one of the things they do, because of this, is to open up the SDK in various ways to allow for third party developers to develop things. Some of those things will be free of charge, some of them not.

I found OD Workspaces and since then I have a hard time using LW without it.

Here is an introduction video made by Oliver himself (the author of OD Workspaces and many, many other usefull tools for LW2015-LW2018). At the point of recording, Oliver had not released it as a product. But, safe to say, it is a live product and I use it every time I use LightWave.

Until LW3DG do their own, native solution for this, OD Workspaces works very well for the time being, and I feel like I've allready saved up the cost, just by being way more effective.

Video
    https://vimeo.com/264848769

Where to buy
    http://www.origamidigital.com/odtoolsOrder.html

Cheers!
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Seems better to learn Blender as you will have it.
    But then I'll have Blender.

Well, okay. We already have tabs across the top that change what tools are used for a given task. We also have the ability to have different viewport layouts for doing different tasks.
    Workspaces are really just combining those two things.

Yup.
    And had I known about it on ODToolsets, I would have said use that.

My thinking: use what's available as wishing won't get it. (Not anymore...)

Thankfully, Oliver is listening and taking care of such requests.

But yeah, you would have Blender. And another tool in the arsenal.

Actually, I use blender. I've done videos on it. But I keep coming back to LW.

I'll have to find those.

Haha, me, too. It is 'in me bones' to the point that when other apps frustrate me, I go get it done in lw. Then, when LW frustrates, back I go...

Blendercam, though, is my 'forever' reason of using the two app together: make it in LW bring it to life through my cnc with Blendercam.
    Best of it all.
    Robert