Thread: Scan Converter Not Working

Scan Converter Not Working

I've installed NDI Tools 3.7 on my Windows 10 x64 Dell Precision M4500 Laptop with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M GPU. Windows was recently reset, so it is a fairly fresh install with only a few other programs installed.

I am able to run a test pattern and see that in Studio Monitor and across my network as well. When I launch Scan Converter, the program opens and sits in my taskbar as expected. I can change settings such as framerate, audio source, and webcam integration. However, I am unable to view the scan converter results in Studio Monitor (or see it on a different computer).

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the tools several times and playing with the framerate to see if that would make a difference. I've also made sure my display scaling was set to 100% as I read that could cause issues as well.

My other computer is a Mac, but I installed NDI Tools on it and I had no issues getting the Scan Converter going and I was able to view it in Studio Monitor on both PCs.

Is there some other software that most PCs have that is required?

Does this Dell have both an nVidia and Intel GPU? If to does, you will probably need to set NDI Scan Converter to run on the Intel GPU. Apps will still take advantage of the nVidia, just that the final 'image' is stored in the Intel GPU memory for output and that is where NDI Scan Converter needs to run so it can see that image.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

The only display adapter I can find in the system is the NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M. The System Information->Components->Display only shows that one as well as Device Manager->Display Adapters

How would I set it to run on a different GPU even if there was one?

I found this support article that explains how to change it:
    https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...-discrete-GPUs

I definitely don't have the option to use an integrated GPU in NVIDIA control panel. Is there some setting I need to change in the control panel to make it work? FWIW I have an identical model laptop that hasn't been reset, so I tried it on that and I get the exact same issue.

Is the GPU not supported somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by StrongDad View Post
    I found this support article that explains how to change it:
    https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...-discrete-GPUs

I definitely don't have the option to use an integrated GPU in NVIDIA control panel. Is there some setting I need to change in the control panel to make it work? FWIW I have an identical model laptop that hasn't been reset, so I tried it on that and I get the exact same issue.

Is the GPU not supported somehow?
    There is a minimum level of features that the GPU needs to support for NDI Scan Converter to work on it. I'm not sure what all of those features are (I think it needs to support DirectX 11 though). This GPU dates back to mid-2009 release (Windows 7 was the current OS at the time), so I'm guessing this GPU is tool old to be compatible.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.