Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiber FX Question...

Fiber FX Question...

I am wondering if there is a way to create a spline and use that as a guide for FFX? I've made a braided hair and want to create curves from the meshes so that I can create long hair that follows the path of the braid.

Is there something in the docs that I missed?

Thanks.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio
    Lightwave3D 2018, Chronosculpt, RealFlow and more..
    Threadripper 16 core, 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus ROG 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Oky, I answered my own question...lol
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

On another note..anyone have good surface presets for hair? Blonde, Brunette, etc?
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    I am wondering if there is a way to create a spline and use that as a guide for FFX? I've made a braided hair and want to create curves from the meshes so that I can create long hair that follows the path of the braid.

Is there something in the docs that I missed?

Thanks.
    curves, polylines...they all work to create hair from, spline drawn curves do not need conversion, but for layout visual opnegl display, you add a custom show curve object.
    Though curves may be only good for stills, for dynamics you would want polychains.

Yeah, After I made the post, it occurred to me that it was super easy to make poly chains by deleting alternating point loops..something I've done many times for other things...lol.

Just have to figure out the tweaks I need to get the hair to appear smooth n silky, rather than grainy n sandy...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

Yeah, After I made the post, it occurred to me that it was super easy to make poly chains by deleting alternating point loops..something I've done many times for other things...lol.

Just have to figure out the tweaks I need to get the hair to appear smooth n silky, rather than grainy n sandy...hehe.
    If itīs 2018, Itīs Probably AA settings question, and light quality settings in light samples, also check render settings tab.

How do you create your hair guides? if you want to turn a spline drawn curve to polychain, go to setup menu/fiberfx tab and hit strand maker, it will create it for you on a seperate layer, and leave the curves on the first layer.

Indeed..my first test was pretty basic.. 1 pass, 32 samples on light..just now changed them a little.. 3 passes, 8 light samples lightly lower samples in render settings.
    Just to get to a decent quality and can play from there to get the speed/quality ratio better.

I soooo need to get one of them 32 core threadrippers....lol
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

2018 fiberFX is frustratingly slow to render..from my point of view.

I do not know how long I had VPR trying to iterate to a decent level, before even seeing the strands properly.

Nevermind the rest, genesis 2 model, and standard materials for the skin, no subsurf, no PBR, no special spec maps etc...so of course a lot of stuff can be enhanced on realism on the skin.
    Couldnīt use a subpatch model either, since discovery doesnīt allow for togglign subpatch, I may have to use pre-subdivided ones from 2015 ..if I would want that.

Can not spend that much time on any area here, could use more fibers, change material etc..but was just testing a few things, like using fiberV gradient for the braid, so the hair only curls at the end, the hair is just
    a simple cap mesh with modeler fiberfx created strands with gravity, and they are straight, any curving is made withint layout fiberfx settings..and using extra fiberfx and clusters, may cause hair to go in to the head mesh.
    And due to me using discovery mode, I will leave this piece unfinished with a very bold forehead

2 Area Lights and some radiosity.

I am sure we could get good renders, but boy it must cost in terms of rendering times, I do suspect it might be essential to get Octane?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiberfx_dazGenesis2V2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	143537
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiberfx_dazGenesis2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	143536  

Looks good. I have managed a good balance between quality and time...under an hour max with hair in full frame (which it will never get that close) and im happy.

I modeled my guides so subd isnt an issue for me.

Whats annoying me now is I cant seem get it use a texture to control guide radius, so the ends are thick and dont taper how they should. I'll post a render later.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

Looks good. I have managed a good balance between quality and time...under an hour max with hair in full frame (which it will never get that close) and im happy.

I modeled my guides so subd isnt an issue for me.

Whats annoying me now is I cant seem get it use a texture to control guide radius, so the ends are thick and dont taper how they should. I'll post a render later.
    When I mentioned subd, I ment the Genesis mesh, not the hair strands...the strands are ok, but every mesh you bring in from daz isnīt subpatched.
    Can you not use fiberV gradient to set hair thickness as I do?

Ive tried that, it doesnt seem to do anything. Do I need to uv the guides or something? There's no node editor for the guide size texture and selecting fiber-v doesnt seem to help.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

Ive tried that, it doesnt seem to do anything. Do I need to uv the guides or something? There's no node editor for the guide size texture and selecting fiber-v doesnt seem to help.
    Lets get one thing straight, guide radius? are you not talking about fiber width? gradient should be set at 0 at the end of the gradient.

Obviously not, testing guide radius..since I probably misunderstood you...and yes, fiberv isnīt applyable here, if you for instance has created your hair with fiberfx modeler, you should be able to use a weight map.

Yeah, guide radius, not fiber width. I made the chains in modeler. Maybe I'll try a weight map and see if that helps.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

My question is why would you want to play with guide radius? It only defines how far away from the guide the fibers will spread... ( https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...rFX+-+Geometry )

One thing to watch out for with fiber width... It's measured in meters, whereas fibers are usually measured in um.

So, when you set up your gradient, the values are going to be small, like 0.00015, down to 0.000015, etc.

Misplace a decimal point, and while things won't crash, they will go south quickly.

Also, FiberFX no longer had a node editor, like it did in 2015. Even in that node editor, you still didn't have nodal access to fiber width and such.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 12-09-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

I want to adjust guide radius so that fibers will taper at the end, rather than being one thick end. my fiber width is 100um (default is 500).

I didnt play much with ffx til now, so I never used node editor back then.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast