Thread: blender 2.8 - lots of new features

blender 2.8 - lots of new features

alright, what do you see in blender that you'd like to see in lightwave.

I'm loving eevee
    and this thing called a cavity shader
    and the 2d stuff is drool worthy.

-)

I really would love to see a similar feature in lw with this cavity shader - i saw rene do something nice with octane with gold flake on his dragon.
    a grit shader or some sort of recess enhnacer. or a dirty node in corners.
    i know there are some cheats to do it now, but a dedicated shader would be nice.

this guy highlights the new features. Id like to see a few trickle into lw
    https://youtu.be/yyCepAM7Ftc

Eevee, tools, pies. Disinterested. You can hide the 3D cursor TAKE MY MONEY!
    to quote another guy

Eevee is cool, but jitters when rendering. A bit like VPR with high min/max pixel resolution setting.
    more interested in Unreal & Unity Gi in that regard, no flicker.

nice new cloth sim though (looks like)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

"alright, what do you see in blender that you'd like to see in lightwave."

It practically breaks my heart to say this, but I don't think that is going to be much of a concern for quite a few LW users, Maya users, Max users, etc (maybe even C4D users!), as they are going to be fleeing to Blender, in droves... And I realized today, with many mixed feelings, after seeing 2.8 and everything it offers and its enormous UI overhaul, that I am very likely to be among them. It will be an enormous undertaking to make the move, and it will certainly be over the course of many months, but I can't see Newtek and their handful of devs competing with hundreds... In the end, I need to be able to create with as few constraints as humanly possible, and after years of being a staunch Blender-hater, I am loving what I am seeing in Blender 2.8. I'm not saying goodbye to LW yet, but I will prolly be packing my bags before long. Sorry Newtek. :-(
    Last edited by Norka; 11-29-2018 at 07:06 PM.

The situation is a bit different for me. Lightwave is my standby for Arch Viz work but Blender may end up working well as a companion to Lightwave for other 3D work.
    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

I just tried it out and it's getting better but still feels a little to much Blenderish for me. It's still Blender but more refined.
    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

I see the situation with 3D similar to the situation with video editing software. You've got 6-7 major players and 1 player who is disruptive, giving away for free what they should probably be charging for. In the end, people will use what they prefer and what gets the job done. For me, that's LightWave and I don't see why anyone would switch tools when the one they have works and gets the job done. I'm actually hoping that LW only makes incremental changes because I'm not unhappy with the way things are. I also like that LW has a clear line for technical support. The last time I reported a crash, I was surprised at how quickly and professionally NT responded. Does Blackmagic giving Resolve away for free mean there's no room for FCP, Premiere, or Avid?

You have to give it a little time and learn a few shortcutkeys but after learning the basics it’s very easy to learn. It took me about 6 month to go from using LW everyday to using Blender everyday. Now I don’t use LW much at all, I don’t think it has anything to offer that I can’t find in Blender.
    What features I want from Blender? Everything! To name a few: unification, undo, the navigation system, the node editor, GPU rendering, sculpting, fire, smoke & water simulation, texture painting, metaballs, weight painting, hair system, vertex normal support, realtime rendering etc

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    I see the situation with 3D similar to the situation with video editing software. You've got 6-7 major players and 1 player who is disruptive, giving away for free what they should probably be charging for. In the end, people will use what they prefer and what gets the job done. For me, that's LightWave and I don't see why anyone would switch tools when the one they have works and gets the job done. I'm actually hoping that LW only makes incremental changes because I'm not unhappy with the way things are. I also like that LW has a clear line for technical support. The last time I reported a crash, I was surprised at how quickly and professionally NT responded. Does Blackmagic giving Resolve away for free mean there's no room for FCP, Premiere, or Avid?
    It’s not that Blender is free that makes it a threat, it’s because its good and feature rich. And if you use and like Blender you should donate monthly to the dev fund so in that regard it’s not really free.

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    "alright, what do you see in blender that you'd like to see in lightwave."

It practically breaks my heart to say this, but I don't think that is going to be much of a concern for quite a few LW users, Maya users, Max users, etc (maybe even C4D users!), as they are going to be fleeing to Blender, in droves...

Not really. Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of people adopting Blender over time but whole pipelines are built around the Max, Maya, C4D even and that's not going to change anytime soon. And while costs for these softwares might seem like a lot to the average person, they're negligible costs for those that have these pipelines in place, certainly cheaper than making a pipeline change. Personally, I just see Blender as another tool I've adopted, not something I'm switching to. Its not affecting anything else I'm already using. Blender 2.8 has a lot of impressive features, but it will never be the best at everything or even suited to everyone's tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    It’s not that Blender is free that makes it a threat, it’s because its good and feature rich. And if you use and like Blender you should donate monthly to the dev fund so in that regard it’s not really free.
    Precisely. If you're using software, especially if you're making money with it you should be supporting its development. Tired of seeing the argument, Blender is free so why would I use something else.

Well, that was fun. We don't need a thread just begging for Blender trolling. The premise for this one is too thin. If you want to make a specific feature request, do that. This isn't a Blender forum.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")