Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storm granular solver

looks great

anyone knows how this compares to Houdini ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks, Erikals ! Good question, I haven't really looked into Houdini myself...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    looks great

anyone knows how this compares to Houdini ?
    It actually blows Houdini away big time!!! (For granular sims of course!)
    I had a project in which I had to do quite a big grain sim which took me couple of weeks doing it in Houdini and I was still not happy with, every change I wanted to do meant re-simulating... about 10-18 hours at a time...
    Then, I stumbled upon Storm. To say I was blown away is an understatement! haha
    Within 2 or so days, I finished the sim after few changes and refinements, exported to LW and rendered with Octane. It's amazing compared to Houdini grains.
    With the new update to Storm, you can actually create something that resemble liquid!!! I have to try that.

All I need to figure out now, is how to use the data from Storm to VDB in LW.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

hm, this is actually mighty cool news!

will have to investigate further...

Last edited by erikals; 04-04-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lior_c View Post
    I had a project in which I had to do quite a big grain sim which took me couple of weeks doing it in Houdini and I was still not happy with, every change I wanted to do meant re-simulating... about 10-18 hours at a time...
    Then, I stumbled upon Storm. To say I was blown away is an understatement! haha
    Within 2 or so days, I finished the sim after few changes and refinements, exported to LW and rendered with Octane. It's amazing compared to Houdini grains.
    With the new update to Storm, you can actually create something that resemble liquid!!! I have to try that.

All I need to figure out now, is how to use the data from Storm to VDB in LW.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
    i was playing around with the LW 2019 DEMO and there's a tutorial on meshing particles with VDB. I couldn't get it to work. But it might be worth trying, importing the particles into LW and then adding htem in VDB with the "from particles" setting ?

Here's a link to that tutorial : https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...openvdb-liquid

Oh and the new liquid solver looks great btw !!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sph_anim2b_sm.gif 
Views:	183 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	144671

- - - Updated - - -

@lior_c lior_c : Would you mind posting your render ? I'm curious to see what you made

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    Oh and the new liquid solver looks great btw !!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sph_anim2b_sm.gif 
Views:	183 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	144671

- - - Updated - - -

@lior_c lior_c : Would you mind posting your render ? I'm curious to see what you made

I'm considering this, how's the liquid with character deformation?

seen here, should be good, if LightWave exports Alembic deformations correctly that is.

edit; though, final result is not on par with Houdini / RealFlow

Last edited by erikals; 04-06-2019 at 02:54 AM.

I don't see anything about liquids for Storm. Is that a beta feature right now? If this becomes a multisolver, it would be a great alternative to houdini.
    Last edited by thomascheng; 04-06-2019 at 11:47 AM.

don't see anything about liquids for Storm. Is that a beta feature right now?
    probably.

also, as far as i know, Storm won't allow for motion blur in LightWave (?)

by the way, anyone tried exporting an Alembic file with deformation to Storm (ā la MDD) ?

if possible, it should work like this >

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    However, I also had the thought: that looks like the same research as VDB; vdb showed those kinds of examples on launch; if it is, we may get a 'grain' solver, too.
    Not quite. OpenVDB is more about how to manipulate and convert volumetric datasets of various types, as opposed to doing the actual simulations which generate those volumetric datasets. See https://www.openvdb.org/about/ for clarification about OpenVDB's functional modules.

It's more of a "swiss army knife" for manipulating datasets that already exist, as opposed to creating new ones from scratch. OpenVDB allows for converting existing geometry datasets into volume datasets, or converting volume datasets into surface/geometry datasets, for example, but in both cases, it's simply converting datasets that originated elsewhere.

Hope that helps, obviously the OpenVDB website contains much, much more info about OpenVDB capabilities.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

BTW, Storm looks really cool and even has Mac support, at that price I couldn't resist. Another satisfied customer here.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12