Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exrTrader dilemma

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I'm wondering now if it's something with Photoshop. Might be a reason to pick up Affinity.
    To be fair, Photoshop doesn't have the best OpenEXR support. You should certainly use ProEXR.
    I was going to test the hanging issue again. Last night when doing a test, I noticed that the rendering tiles had finished yet progress bar showed only 88%. I waited 30-40 secs and then all completed apperantly; the image widow came up and the exr's had gotten written.
    If it was an F9 render, make sure to turn off the Store all Buffers option: https://wiki.db-w.com/exrtrader2018/...all_buffers_f9
    That may be the cause. Not for the delay itself but for it being excessive.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    To be fair, Photoshop doesn't have the best OpenEXR support. You should certainly use ProEXR.

If it was an F9 render, make sure to turn off the Store all Buffers option: https://wiki.db-w.com/exrtrader2018/...all_buffers_f9
    That may be the cause. Not for the delay itself but for it being excessive.

Cheers,
    Mike
    I'm fairly convinced now that it's a PhotoShop issue. Picked up Affinity Photo this morning; only $39.95 today so not a brain strain to decide. Turned off the Store all Buffers option in exrTrader & F9ed. PShiop still has the problem, Affinity doesn't.

PhotoShop CS6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip_4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	774.4 KB 
ID:	143412

Affinity Photo

Name:	Clip_6.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	589.5 KB 
ID:	143413

I guess the next question is with the ID layers. In Lightwave with an F9, each item or surfaces displays a unique color. In the output exr layers though, they're more an alpha.

Buffers saved from F9:

Name:	Clip_5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	143415

But from the same F9, layer from the output exr:

Name:	Clip_7.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	143416

And finally, largely due to your avatar:

Name:	MooseParts.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	143417

I've no idea what it means. The shop was closed & no longer there.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

I guess the next question is with the ID layers. In Lightwave with an F9, each item or surfaces displays a unique color. In the output exr layers though, they're more an alpha.
    It's not directly an alpha. What VPR displays is a changed representation of what the buffer contains, but not directly what it contains.
    exrTrader on the other hand saves the buffers as LW generates them.

Basically, the ID buffers in LW store a numeric value per pixel which represents either the most used or last rendered surface/item for that pixel (to be fair, I don't know which strategy LW uses).
    So, a range of numbers start at 0 and proceeding from there: 1,2,3,4 etc...

Now, if you know how HDR images are interpreted you'll see that the number are essentially outside of the visible range.

So, unless your package can deal with the numeric values directly (i.e. Fusion) you'll need to change the exposure to bring the IDs in a visible range and then, essentially, luma key them.

I am thinking about generating "clown" mattes in exrTrader (based on the work for Cryptomatte), but that would be a Pro feature only (exrTrader saves all the buffers as generated by LW, Pro also generates its own buffers - that is the main difference. Cryptomattes being the first implementation for Pro).

And finally, largely due to your avatar:

Name:	MooseParts.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	143417

I've no idea what it means. The shop was closed & no longer there.
    I have no idea either, but you can never have enough parts.

Cheers,
    Mike

It's not directly an alpha. What VPR displays is a changed representation of what the buffer contains, but not directly what it contains.
    exrTrader on the other hand saves the buffers as LW generates them.

Basically, the ID buffers in LW store a numeric value per pixel which represents either the most used or last rendered surface/item for that pixel (to be fair, I don't know which strategy LW uses).
    So, a range of numbers start at 0 and proceeding from there: 1,2,3,4 etc...

Now, if you know how HDR images are interpreted you'll see that the number are essentially outside of the visible range.

So, unless your package can deal with the numeric values directly (i.e. Fusion) you'll need to change the exposure to bring the IDs in a visible range and then, essentially, luma key them.

I am thinking about generating "clown" mattes in exrTrader (based on the work for Cryptomatte), but that would be a Pro feature only (exrTrader saves all the buffers as generated by LW, Pro also generates its own buffers - that is the main difference. Cryptomattes being the first implementation for Pro).Mike
    I think colors would be easier to work with certainly if you've dozens of objects or surfaces. With the numeric route, it's more of a guessing game.

I should make another sortie into learning Fusion. Haven't largely due to the vast number of items I've gathered over the years for After Effects I guess. For simple comping tasks, it might be worth getting comfortable with.

I have no idea either, but you can never have enough parts.

Cheers,
    Mike
    If ya have the room to keep 'em, I suppose. I'm still a bit confused as to what might be wearing out.

M.

Hey Mike. Tried that scene again where Trader hung. It did again, but I'm pretty sure it's simply a system mem issue. Taskman showed it pegged whereas CPU use was 1%.

I let it percolate for another 10 mins or so after the F9 render hit 100%, which was in the neighborhood of 22 mins.

Hey Mike. Tried that scene again where Trader hung. It did again, but I'm pretty sure it's simply a system mem issue. Taskman showed it pegged whereas CPU use was 1%.

I let it percolate for another 10 mins or so after the F9 render hit 100%, which was in the neighborhood of 22 mins.
    Memory would explain it. exrTrader tries to be conservative when getting the buffers from LW, it's only one scan line at a time. But then the buffers themselves need memory. This is where turning off the "Store all Buffers" option, which you did, helps.

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12