Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crane Cables rig?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Crane Cables rig?

Any tips on the best way to animate cables on a moving crane?

Better yet a pre-built scene with cables already rigged?

I have a crane that rotates on it's base, and then the arm can pivot up and down. I need the cables (just simple black tubes) that stretch from the back of the base to move and stretch (or clipmask I guess, but I'd rather learn to stretch) to the top of the arm. Then there is the hook which should hang below the wrist, and be adjustable up and down, also with stretchy cables.

Thoughts, as always, appreciated...
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

I don't know if Worleys Hoser still works with LW but that plugin is designed for that type of stuff.

I think you could also do it with Bullet dynamics.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    I don't know if Worleys Hoser still works with LW but that plugin is designed for that type of stuff.

I think you could also do it with Bullet dynamics.
    I can confirm Hoser works with LW 2018. (Very easy to use and set up.) I've used Steve Worley's Taft plugins for over ten years. They're an indispensable part of my workflow.
    Last edited by ccclarke; 11-19-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    I can confirm Hoser works with LW 2018. (Very easy to use and set up.) I've used Steve Worley's Taft plugins for over ten years. They're an indispensable part of my workflow.
    Those will install into 2018? What about Polk?

Guess I never tried to since Sasquatch wasn't compatible. Will have to dig out the disks I guess.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Those will install into 2018? What about Polk?

Guess I never tried to since Sasquatch wasn't compatible. Will have to dig out the disks I guess.
    I'll add Polk tonight, check it out, and report back.

Well, Hoser does indeed sound exactly like what I am looking for, and not that hard or scary to learn - but I don't understand how to get it? I can read all about it on the Worley sight ( http://www.worley.com/E/taft_support.html ) but I don't seem to be able to obtain it. Clicking Purchase just takes me to the Support page. (Plus unless it's real cheap i probably don't want to purchase it for this task anyway)

Did they take it off eh, ya Hosers?

Any ideas on where to find a copy of Hoser?
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Taft/Hoser is available only through Steve's site. His big claim to fame is fPrime which I still use w/LW2015. I would suggest contacting him via email to see if his plugins are still available. Hoser is a huge timesaver, and takes just a few moments to set up.

That all sounds complicated and like things I should learn about but am scared too...

Isn't there a way I can set a null at the wrist of the arm, and then stretch a separate cable object between it's base and the null?
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Have a look at some of the example scenes that come with 2018. There are Bullet-controlled cables and bones too, IIRC.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Anyone who teases plugins no longer for sale should be banned from the forums.

I just tried out the hoser demo and it looks nifty. I just sent an email to sales at worley.com (no bounce or rejection yet). Archive.org suggests the last time it was for sale was in 2015.

This hose/cable topic is not new. There may be additional ideas here:
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145726
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If Worley is no longer interested in the LW market, it seems a prime opportunity for somebody to step in and take up the slack.

Well, for certain values of "prime". And "opportunity".
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I was just re-reading the Hoser dox and was wondering what specific features it offers over Spline Control? It seems a bit similar.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Just use a twopoint polychain and use bullet for movement. Takes max a couple of minutes to setup. I did a quick one and it didn't take more than 5 minutes and I haven't used Lw i several months as I have found better alternatives.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-11-20_17-06-59.gif 
Views:	38 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	143388
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Just use a twopoint polychain and use bullet for movement. Takes max a couple of minutes to setup. I did a quick one and it didn't take more than 5 minutes and I haven't used Lw i several months as I have found better alternatives.
    And ... this would have been a nice, helpful post even without the completely unnecessary op ed following the word "and".
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    And ... this would have been a nice, helpful post even without the completely unnecessary op ed following the word "and".
    I knew you would love it! It was mostly to highlight how fast and easy the setup was even though I’ve not used LW as frequent as I used to. yeah, could have done it without that extra info, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast