Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Denis has updated most of his plug-ins for 2018!!!!

Agreed, but the more choice we have the better i would say. I liked the way Denis's worked as well. Of course we are speculating because we dont know what Denis might be able to achieve with the new lights in 2018. I would love to see what he could do.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Differences are that with sk sunlight..you had a settings combined under one panel..
    Time zone..manual...an a few more.
    For the new lw 2018
    Lights...you have to use sunspot ..that is a bit more tedious...though I mostly use manual control.

Otherwise I think its pretty much the same with softer shadows if you change angle.
    You also had skymodel..turbidity..sky amount in that light panel...with the new lw lights...you have to jump between sunsky env...an thw lights..
    Theres also sky amoumt which could be balanced against the skylight.
    Here is the thing... John Marchant stated this:

"DP Infinite i liked because of the softer shadows."

I said:

"Since LW2018, you can do soft shadows with native Distant Lights."

Your response will only add to the confusion for people who might not know that native LW Distant lights can now produce soft shadows.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought I should have a go at part move stuff,

Was just adding the new dp kit for Lightwave 2018, trying the classic part moves, ...feeding a simple turbulence in to part move etc, INSTANT CRASH

edited...just a simple part move without anything else, fed into nodal displacement output, instant crash.
    Anyone else? and a note for this is that I am using 2018.01 not the later builds, if that matters.
    I would use the native solution for this.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes..that additional color profile is nice, I hope we get direct tonemapping editing though, wish is not directed to Denis but the lw devs.
    Yes, me too. In the meantime, we may try tonemapping setups in DP Filter Node Editors. For previewing in real time we can use DP Node Pixel Filter and for final image, DP Node Image Filter. Just in case, here are a couple of filmic TMOs and links to others I shared in another thread:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1557394

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman
    Indeed, MeshPart is useful too, but guess it depends on what we need to do. i.e. For rotating (only rotating) parts with MeshPart, we need a setup like the one kindly shared by Joe Lertola in this thread:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...Lightwave-2018

Which looks something like this:

With DP PartMove, for doing the same thing, we only need this:

Think it's a matter of efficiency by depending on each task.

Gerardo

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Here is the thing... John Marchant stated this:

"DP Infinite i liked because of the softer shadows."

I said:

"Since LW2018, you can do soft shadows with native Distant Lights."

Your response will only add to the confusion for people who might not know that native LW Distant lights can now produce soft shadows.

- - - Updated - - -

Cageman..my man
    I am sorry..but how on earth do you find my response as confusing to the point that I somehow indicated that the new lights doesnīt do soft shadows?

My respones will not as you said, "only add to the confusion"
    My response gave a clear description on a certain feature, not related to soft shadows.

I have never indicated anything like that, I pointed out the difference...itīs as simple as that.
    In no way does a description of the dp lights skylight indicate that only dp lights has soft shadows.

As for the dp kit part move, a Personal choice...unless you specify why the new native tools would be better, I prefer part move from Denis, that is me.

Cageman..my man
    I am sorry..but how on earth do you find my response as confusing to the point that I somehow indicated that the new lights doesnīt do soft shadows?

My respones will not as you said, "only add to the confusion"
    My response gave a clear description on a certain feature, not related to soft shadows.

I have never indicated anything like that, I pointed out the difference...itīs as simple as that.
    In no way does a description of the dp lights skylight indicate that only dp lights has soft shadows.

As for the dp kit part move, a Personal choice...unless you specify why the new native tools would be better, I prefer part move from Denis, that is me.
    I think I misread your quote Cageman? you qouted someone else ..next to another quote, so I guess you didnīt respond that way to me

I acknowledge that you can do soft shadows in 2018, i could also do dome lights natively in 2015 or use DP Dome, and as i said i know which i prefer. Its not just about the lights, its about how they are implemented and how easy it is to use. I found Denis's way far easier and i like the UI.

Its all speculation after this what Denis could and could not do because he has not done so far and so who is to say what he could leverage with the current SDK, maybe the lights wont be any better, maybe they will, maybe we will have more options with Denis's implementation.

I in no way am saying that 2018's lights are not good just because i asked if Denis would revisit DP Lights, any more than saying the 2018 renderer is rubbish because we have Octane or Kray, or that anything LWCad does is rubbish because it can be done nativly, there are many ways to do things and not just the look and we are all the better for having third-party developers helping us out and creating great tools to use within LW.

Here is LW Dome Light and DP Dome Light, far more options in Denis's version that the native one. Still both dome lights and do similar things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dome Light.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1,001.3 KB 
ID:	143490
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 12-05-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    I acknowledge that you can do soft shadows in 2018, i could also do dome lights natively in 2015 or use DP Dome, and as i said i know which i prefer. Its not just about the lights, its about how they are implemented and how easy it is to use. I found Denis's way far easier and i like the UI.
    Yes, to each tool its task.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Its all speculation after this what Denis could and could not do because he has not done so far and so who is to say what he could leverage with the current SDK, maybe the lights wont be any better, maybe they will, maybe we will have more options with Denis's implementation.
    Many of these tools were already coded since 2 years ago and what you see is what he has "leveraged" in a reasonably stable way with the current SDK, which is surprisingly A LOT for just one man, I think ...and I'm not speculating about this, I've tried the SK lights in LW 2018 and I'm aware they and other DP tools you don't see right now available for LW 2018 (or partially available) could be implementable IF Denis could receive a bit of support from NT/LWTeam, support he has asked for since 2 years ago.

Gerardo

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada View Post
    Yes, to each tool its task.

Many of these tools were already coded since 2 years ago and what you see is what he has "leveraged" in a reasonably stable way with the current SDK, which is surprisingly A LOT for just one man, I think ...and I'm not speculating about this, I've tried the SK lights in LW 2018 and I'm aware they and other DP tools you don't see right now available for LW 2018 (or partially available) could be implementable IF Denis could receive a bit of support from NT/LWTeam, support he has asked for since 2 years ago.

Gerardo
    Please rest assured that NewTek is fully responsive to inquiries from all third party developers, and is not delaying anyone's efforts by failing to be responsive.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Please rest assured that NewTek is fully responsive to inquiries from all third party developers, and is not delaying anyone's efforts by failing to be responsive.
    Can you explain please how is that? If I'm a 3rth-party developer who needs assistance with lack or unclear info in the SDK to port a tool from LW2015 to 2018 and NT is failing to be responsive, how that is not delaying the third-party efforts?

Gerardo

We have initiated contact ourselves with Denis several times this past year; he has not indicated to us on any of those occasions that there is information about the SDK that he needs to proceed with his development. He did indicate that there were some previous discussions with the team management that he did not feel were carried to completion, but those were not about needing SDK information in order to proceed with his development, nor were they anything that he wished to go forward with at this time.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

We have initiated contact ourselves with Denis several times this past year; he has not indicated to us on any of those occasions that there is information about the SDK that he needs to proceed with his development. He did indicate that there were some previous discussions with the team management that he did not feel were carried to completion, but those were not about needing SDK information in order to proceed with his development, nor were they anything that he wished to go forward with at this time.
    Then that's where the issue resides! NT thinks the SDK is not issue. But there are several DP tools I've tested that can not be ported to LW2018 appropriately due to precisely the SDK assumes some technical topics are obvious for the developer but they are not explicit there and are precisely those topics related with the SDK what prevents a developer to port so useful tools successfully. Could you please check with Denis this topic again? Hopefully you could solve all this misunderstanding.

Gerardo
    p.s. Thanks for being responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada View Post
    Then that's where the issue resides! NT thinks the SDK is not issue. But there are several DP tools I've tested that can not be ported to LW2018 appropriately due to precisely the SDK assumes some technical topics are obvious for the developer but they are not explicit there and are precisely those topics related with the SDK what prevents a developer to port so useful tools successfully. Could you please check with Denis this topic again? Hopefully you could solve all this misunderstanding.

Gerardo
    p.s. Thanks for being responsive.
    Apologies, somehow I am not getting across to you that we have talked to Denis, and he has not had questions for us about the SDK. We did not make any assumptions, and I am confident he would have asked questions in response if he had them.

I did, however, email him again earlier today to ask if he had any such questions, just to be sure. He has been so busy with a long-term project that he did not have time to devote to development for quite some lengthy time. Now he does have time, and now he's getting some cool stuff done on the plugins.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Apologies, somehow I am not getting across to you that we have talked to Denis, and he has not had questions for us about the SDK. We did not make any assumptions, and I am confident he would have asked questions in response if he had them.
    Yes, it's understandable if there are other issues with more priority for Denis to solve before addressing the technical ones. But the technical issues for porting his plugins have been directly related all the time with the SDK being opaque, non-explicit or unclear to him.

I did, however, email him again earlier today to ask if he had any such questions, just to be sure. He has been so busy with a long-term project that he did not have time to devote to development for quite some lengthy time. Now he does have time, and now he's getting some cool stuff done on the plugins.
    Indeed. DP plugins are key components in the pipelines functionality of many LW studios and professionals. Thanks again for taking care about this topic.

Gerardo

DP Plugins make LW usable; without them, no point using LW. Simple as that really.

I've posted a poll here for all MacOS users for getting an idea if we can maybe fund together some money which could go to a developer helping us to get the DP tools compiled for LW2018 on MacOS side. Please vote if you are interested and concerned, thanks!

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ease-vote-here!

Markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast