Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR Portfolio Roadmap and Pricing Update

Quote Originally Posted by cg_mike View Post
    From your technology breakdown post above, it sounds like I can get to the end result via LightWave or Blender or anything else that will get assets into Unity. Is that right?
    Correct. Any way you can cram assets in, will work.

Basically, any FBX files you have, should work.

-Chilton

Chilton, I am intrigued by this offer.. but at the same time I am a highly skilled JS programmer (in addition to being a talented 3D artist and designer - not to toot my own horn - oh what the hell, toot! toot!), and I have worked extensively in threejs and build my apps from scratch... So here is my question: Aside from speed and ease of use, is there anything AR Portfolio & Unity can do that would be virtually impossible to do in threejs? I just haven't had time to play with AR at all or research it much, since I have been swamped for many months and will be through Spring 2019...

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    Chilton, I am intrigued by this offer.. but at the same time I am a highly skilled JS programmer (in addition to being a talented 3D artist and designer - not to toot my own horn - oh what the hell, toot! toot!), and I have worked extensively in threejs and build my apps from scratch... So here is my question: Aside from speed and ease of use, is there anything AR Portfolio & Unity can do that would be virtually impossible to do in threejs? I just haven't had time to play with AR at all or research it much, since I have been swamped for many months and will be through Spring 2019...
    Well, first, I can say that your JS skills are not lost on Unity. Javascript and C# are the two main languages used, and you can do pretty much everything in either language. So if you haven't done so yet, you might check it out. Your skills will translate very easily.

There are a few things I've found easier in Unity than in ThreeJS. But first, let me say that my experience with ThreeJS is limited. I used it for a website a few years ago where I needed a custom drone design to be something a user could disassemble and reassemble in their web browser, and I built a playground configurator in it as well. Same idea, let the user design a 3D model in their browser. But that's the extent of it. I didn't really experiment with high quality textures or shaders or anything like that.

My experience with that vs Unity is that with Unity, you can load insanely heavy FBX files into an app (and have them load instantly), store and render really high def lighting, and play back high quality, butter smooth animations with high poly models.

What I don't know is how extensive ThreeJS' AR support is. I've noticed there are some third party apps that apparently make use of it though.

-Chilton

I suspect (but haven't checked to prove/disprove yet) the push for VR/AR games are putting pressure on Unity w.r.t. VR/AR support at stronger level than for platforms like threejs which are a bit less gaming-driven overall.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

That checks out. Between Unreal and Unity, they're pushing each other to constantly outdo the other with regard to performance and capabilities. I don't really see anyone else competing in that arena.

I'm officially bumping the price at midnight CST.

I think everyone has bought in who wants in, but if not, that's the deadline for the current price.

The product will still be available for sale, but it will cost more.

-Chilton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12