Thread: Shader nodes

Shader nodes

How to use it correctly for shader nodes in Lightwave 2018? Any there is tutorial on how to do that ? Need to explore all nodes to make very good result. Can you share with me your shader nodes for example ?

Thanks.

Are you asking how to make a shader node "from scratch" using nodes? Or are you just asking how to (nodally) use shader nodes already present?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

yes i am asking from scrathch and with examples too.

This request seems much too generic to be able to answer effectively. You want "very good results", but for what type(s) of surface / effect / scenario? For example, "very good results" has a different meaning for a post-apocalypse scenario (e.g. burned / broken / destroyed) than for an idyllic forest scene (e.g. Avatar type environments), both of which would be different from a modern city scape, an alien planet, a medieval stone castle, or a space scene.

You might start with the Presets shelf (F8 while in the Surface Editor), use the Built-in pulldown to select a Class of materials and one of the presets within that class, and then examine the Material settings and node network and experiment with the various settings of the base Material node(s).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PresetsShelf_F8_WhileInSurfaceEditor.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	143340

A really key issue for materials in LW2018 is the environment surrounding the materials. The type of Lights, backdrops, other objects to be reflected in the surface or to affect radiosity and ambient occlusion can all have significant effects on the appearance of the material(s). Again, these environmental items will depend on the type of scene(s) / scenario(s) / effect(s) you want to achieve in LW. For example, Tim Parsons was kind enough to post a "Product Shot Start Scene" in this thread:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...18-Start-Scene

which sets up an environment for a "photo shoot" of 3D models of furniture. This environmental setup may be exactly what you're looking for, or completely wrong!

You also might get better responses if you posted pictures or pointers to pictures of the type of surfaces / effects / scenes / scenarios you have in mind.

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 11-11-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo

Ok i will study more in depth for nodes from Lightwave 2018 and experiment something...

Hope to show you some surfaces if i have not wrong.

thank you.

Hello,

As I said, if you'll post pictures or pointers to pictures of the type of surfaces / scenarios you want to achieve it would certainly make it easier to make some suggestions!

Have fun!
    mTp

FYI, here's a post for some tutorials on the new LW materials and shading:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...=1#post1558496

This is general information, but may be useful in pursuing what you want to do.

mTp