Thread: Picking objects in Layout

Picking objects in Layout

Hi forum,

Lightwave 2015

9 out of 5 times I'm clicking on objects in Layout, it doesn't pick the first object directly under my crosshair, but something random behind it instead. Needless to say it's frustrating. Is there some weird setting that evaluates where you click based on bounding boxes, proximity to pivot, rather than the visible polygon under the cursor? I'd like the latter.

Cheers

It's been this way since day one in Layout. I believe a mouse click sends a ray into the viewport and where it hits a surface, the associated object/layer is supposed to be selected, but 99% of the time the ray simply passes right through the object and many others behind it until it hits something "larger" or "closer" to the origin. I've found that the closer you click to the obect/layer's pivot point, the more likely it gets selected. This is why I keep either the scene editor or item list box windows open on another monitor, so that I can select the object faster than clicking and clicking and clicking or scrolling through the dropdown/up list.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Ya, it would be nice to see it revamped. In Wireframe mode, you can generally left click but you can also MMB marquee box select multiple objects if desired.

Another annoyance is that you have to be in VPR in order to select a surface with a left click. But, there's no easy way of doing that same thing with an object in anything other than wireframe. Maybe the others with And once in the Surface Editor, gee, wouldn't it be nice to also be able to select the Object that's already listed right there with it's surfaces? But sigh, no. I often need to have the object along one of it's surfaces selected. Or, with an object selected in any mode, why not have an RMB function that brings up the surface editor to that objects listings? Two clicks instead of however long it takes to slog through and find the objects listing.

And of course there's no straight forward way of Hot Keying the various view modes! Why is that? So, unless you have a special mouse with a zillion buttons that you can program, you have to manually go to the top of the window & select the desired mode from the drop down. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb! I'm sure I've literally had thousands of hours pissed away over the years because of this. Toggling modes should be much more efficient for how often it gets used.

And BOTH scene Editors should have search & filtering functions.

Alright, putting the soapbox away now.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Another annoyance is that you have to be in VPR in order to select a surface with a left click. But, there's no easy way of doing that same thing with an object in anything other than wireframe. Maybe the others with And once in the Surface Editor, gee, wouldn't it be nice to also be able to select the Object that's already listed right there with it's surfaces? But sigh, no. I often need to have the object along one of it's surfaces selected. Or, with an object selected in any mode, why not have an RMB function that brings up the surface editor to that objects listings? Two clicks instead of however long it takes to slog through and find the objects listing.

And of course there's no straight forward way of Hot Keying the various view modes! Why is that? So, unless you have a special mouse with a zillion buttons that you can program, you have to manually go to the top of the window & select the desired mode from the drop down. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb! I'm sure I've literally had thousands of hours pissed away over the years because of this. Toggling modes should be much more efficient for how often it gets used.

And BOTH scene Editors should have search & filtering functions.
    Alas, hope, she has fled. UI/UX seems to receive lowest priority versus all other concerns.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Not only is it dumb, it is slow.

Short menus/dropdowns are the SLOWEST of UI devices. The fact that there are dropdowns in LW(M) with TWO options is an abomination.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Wow, after this was up for 1-2 days I figured it was just me. That LW didn't like my system or whatever. Amazing that it's kept like this, considering that clicking on stuff is the central operation in all software. I've used the Scene Editor mostly but in some scenes where I may have 300 identical trees, finding the one that is right in front of me seems clumsy.

yes, agree, hope it gets fixed. been like that forever...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Someone's filed a bug report on this issue, yes?
    John W.

mentioned it back in 2013, however, if someone else wants to give it a shot >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    mentioned it back in 2013, however, if someone else wants to give it a shot >
    If nobody else gets to it by tomorrow, I'll file on it.
    John W.