Thread: Advice on Re-rendering old films created in LW 7 from early 2000’s.

Advice on Re-rendering old films created in LW 7 from early 2000’s.

So I’ve been thinking about trying to render out a couple of old Standard Def 25 min films we did back in 2000-2003. They were done in LW 6-7. We used Darktree plugin for a lot of the environmental texturing. We used I think it was called Nature Effects plugin for some of the surface water shots. And there may be some other plugins. I think I still have a dongle or two. Does anyone remember if these plugins were tied to a dongle? Any thoughts of which direction to take? Do you know if LW 7 works on Win 7 or 10?

I think there’s two directions to take. OPT #1: Open everything in LW 7 with all the plugins. Then render directly. OPT #1: Would be to bake animations, textures, and whatever else I need to and render in on a newer version that renders faster.

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Hey SK810 - What were the films if you don't mind my asking? Ever released? Was it all LW7/CGI?

Sounds a bit like a trip down memory lane for you ...

Quote Originally Posted by sk810 View Post
    Do you know if LW 7 works on Win 7 or 10?.
    Think that's sort of the first item you need to find out, otherwise everthing else is moot. There may be issues of newer video drivers with older code too.

In any case, if you get past that hurdle I'd pick a representative scene & try both routes. See if there really is any advantage & can you easily duplicate the look.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Gungho3D View Post
    Hey SK810 - What were the films if you don't mind my asking? Ever released? Was it all LW7/CGI?

Sounds a bit like a trip down memory lane for you ...
    It was a 3 part episodic series called Kingdom Under the Sea. The first episode would be the biggest nightmare since content orginzation wasn't very strong and not sure if everything was backed up. The third episode would be the easiest since it has lots of 2D backgrounds. Yep it will be a trip down memory lane. It will be fun to test this out and see how it holds up in HD or 4K, textures will probably be problematic.

Trailer for one of the episodes
    https://youtu.be/w0zavySGZ-0

Amazon Prime
    https://www.amazon.com/Return-of-The...O62ClJLAsR58e8
    Last edited by sk810; 11-12-2018 at 05:00 PM.